M1 Garand owners please come in

UncleDan

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm looking at an M1 Garand tomorrow (through private sale) and if anyone on here is familiar with them, I'd like to know what to look for on these rifles before buying. It's supposedly really clean and built in the 1950's I believe. I don't care so much about owning one that was WW2 era. Just want to make sure it's a legit Garand. He's asking $900 for it, which sounds fair if it's in the condition he says it is.

jbs$

Established Member
If the barrel is in decent condition, $900 is a fair price for a Springfield, if it is a Winchester, you got a bargain. Several other manufacturers made the M1 rifle in the early 50's, most have Springfield barrels. All of the parts are interchangeable. Great weapon, a mans rifle, you will enjoy shooting it.

UncleDan

Established Member
If the barrel is in decent condition, $900 is a fair price for a Springfield, if it is a Winchester, you got a bargain. Several other manufacturers made the M1 rifle in the early 50's, most have Springfield barrels. All of the parts are interchangeable. Great weapon, a mans rifle, you will enjoy shooting it.

So it's more valuable if manufactured by Winchester?

VictorySong

Established Member
So it's more valuable if manufactured by Winchester?

Depends. A CMP papered M1C or D Springfield will be worth more than a Winchester M1. Too much info to even cover on the internet in regards to parts numbers, production years, etc. There are entire books dedicated to the rifle. If you just want one to shoot, get an M1 through the CMP.:beer:

The one to have, IMO, is the Navy (H&R/AMF)converted 7.62x51 Nato rifle. Those things are great to shoot and the ammo is a lot easier/cheaper to get. They are $ though.

Last edited:

UncleDan

Established Member
Depends. A CMP papered M1C or D Springfield will be worth more than a Winchester M1. Too much info to even cover on the internet in regards to parts numbers, production years, etc. There are entire books dedicated to the rifle. If you just want one to shoot, get an M1 through the CMP.:beer:

The one to have, IMO, is the Navy (H&R/AMF)converted 7.62x51 Nato rifle. Those things are great to shoot and the ammo is a lot easier/cheaper to get. They are $ though.

Yeah, this one is 30-06 which is what I want.

Machdup1

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm looking at an M1 Garand tomorrow (through private sale) and if anyone on here is familiar with them, I'd like to know what to look for on these rifles before buying. It's supposedly really clean and built in the 1950's I believe. I don't care so much about owning one that was WW2 era. Just want to make sure it's a legit Garand. He's asking $900 for it, which sounds fair if it's in the condition he says it is.

Buy an RM1SPECIAL from the CMP. They take a receiver and build from the ground up. Mine looks brand new.

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.30-06)

M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

Also available in .308

VictorySong

Established Member
Yeah, this one is 30-06 which is what I want.

Stock M1 Garands can't handle the big boy loads. .30 M2 Ball is within ~70ft/lbs of M80 7.62. There is no point in owning a 30-06 and you run the risk of a retard running hunting loads in it which will will destroy the op-rod and possibly crack the receiver.

Buy an RM1SPECIAL from the CMP. They take a receiver and build from the ground up. Mine looks brand new.

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

/thread

Last edited:

UncleDan

Established Member
Stock M1 Garands can't handle the big boy loads. .30 M2 Ball is within ~70ft/lbs of M80 7.62. There is no point in owning a 30-06 and you run the risk of a retard running hunting loads in it which will will destroy the op-rod and possibly crack the receiver.

/thread

No retarded hunting loads lol. Just the style 30-06 that it's meant to fire.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
No retarded hunting loads lol. Just the style 30-06 that it's meant to fire.

It's not hard to find ammo. Well maybe *now* but when sanity returns it's fine. Just stick with 150gr rounds. You can google around for brands/loads that are known to work well.

I have an H&R from 1953 myself. Paid $900 and I underpaid based on the condition it was in. In fact it is so nice that I've only shot it once, it's certainly more of a collectors piece to me.

jbs$

Established Member
I shoot 1 - 2000 rounds of 30-06, through my M1's per year, all military surplus. Never have a problem. Some of the guys that I shoot with reload the brass, however, to date I have not. Some ammo is slightly corrosive, this just requires you to do a little better job cleaning your rifle. Iron sights at 250 - 300 yards is fun and when you shoot an M1 you know that it is not a pea shooter.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

Also available in .308

:rockon:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If it is a clean gun with a nice shiny bore and the finish is uniform then it is a good buy. If you don't have a go no go gauge, ask him to bring a few pieces of spent brass and a sabot or unfired round. Slide the unfired round into the crown of the barrel, if there is about 1/8" to a 1/4" of the bullet showing the barrel is good, if it sinks in to the brass it is shot out.
Compare the spent shell to the unfired one, look to see if the neck of the spent shell has head spaced or appears longer. If so walk away.
If it is an IHC (International Harvester) it is worth it, IHC are the most rare except I think for a few hundred Berettas that were made in the late 50's.

Take it out of the stock and look for any import marks "Blue sky" "Century" if it has them its not worth it.

You can shoot hunting loads with an adjustable gas block imo it's not worth it Federal makes loads for the Garand.

I love my M1 Garand. That is the one I want to pass down and the one I would keep no matter what. My grandfather hated it but I guess that had something to do with marching across Europe with one.

Last edited:

UncleDan

Established Member
Ok, so I looked at the rifle today and bought it. While looking at it, I saw that it was made by a company named Century Arms International. Heard of them, but knew nothing of them. As I was looking at it I was trying to do some research on my phone about CAI M1 Garands, but couldn't find much. But, it was a clean looking weapon and figured it was worth the price.

When I got home, I started researching CAI Garands, and HOLY SH*T did I make a mistake buying this thing. It's a knock off Garand and the receiver and internal parts are junk quality. Misfires, ejection failures, and jams are very common, and some people even reported explosions!

I called the guy up who I bought it from and told him about what I found. Guy was very nice to deal with, and he completely understood. He is not familiar with Garands and knew nothing about CAI. So, he said he'll refund me 100% without a problem. A local gun shop is offering him about the same amount of money for the rifle as I payed him, so it's a win-win for us both. Whew!! Dodged a bullet on this one!

And as a bonus, I now know where to get a legit quality Garand over at CMP.

VictorySong

Established Member
Ok, so I looked at the rifle today and bought it. While looking at it, I saw that it was made by a company named Century Arms International. Heard of them, but knew nothing of them. As I was looking at it I was trying to do some research on my phone about CAI M1 Garands, but couldn't find much. But, it was a clean looking weapon and figured it was worth the price.

When I got home, I started researching CAI Garands, and HOLY SH*T did I make a mistake buying this thing. It's a knock off Garand and the receiver and internal parts are junk quality. Misfires, ejection failures, and jams are very common, and some people even reported explosions!

I called the guy up who I bought it from and told him about what I found. Guy was very nice to deal with, and he completely understood. He is not familiar with Garands and knew nothing about CAI. So, he said he'll refund me 100% without a problem. A local gun shop is offering him about the same amount of money for the rifle as I payed him, so it's a win-win for us both. Whew!! Dodged a bullet on this one!

And as a bonus, I now know where to get a legit quality Garand over at CMP.

Lmao, I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard CAI. You got off lucky man. You can't go wrong with CMP. :beer:

UncleDan

Established Member
Lmao, I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard CAI. You got off lucky man. You can't go wrong with CMP. :beer:

As did I when I learned that they are pieces of junk! lol. Oh well, it's all going to work out. I found some Garands on CMP that were actually less money, yet legit. I live in Mass, so now I need to find out what kind of circus it is just to get one shipped here.

Machdup1

Established Member
I live in Mass, so now I need to find out what kind of circus it is just to get one shipped here.

You will have to submit the extensive paperwork, then they will fedex it to your door. They are the only organization in the country that does not have ship to an FFL to perform a private transfer between states.

VictorySong

Established Member
You will have to submit the extensive paperwork, then they will fedex it to your door. They are the only organization in the country that does not have ship to an FFL to perform a private transfer between states.

Any C&R license holder can accept curious and relic listed weapons without an FFL. Pre 1899 (1898 production and earlier) guns also ship to your door without an FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread