M3 pics

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by M-Phibian
It was developed for and is used by F1 cars, and I believe the only production cars that use it are the M3, Audi S4, and two Ferraris. Although there are other cars that have "paddle" shifiting, they are all automatics.

You can add the Audi RS6(twin turbo V8 producing 450hp) which will hit the US soon. This too will have a paddle shift. I drove a friend's M3 w/ SMG and it was awesome. The downshifting is especially impressive. Feels like you're Schuemy or JPM in F1.

M-Phibian

Established Member
Be sure to tell that to the best drivers in the world....F1 racers. Screw technology....REAL men live in the past!:rollseyes:

Oh, and you are aware that the C6 Z06 and next version Cobra are both rumored to be using this same technology...correct?

Originally posted by robiferretti
faster or not, give me a clutch...thats a womans transmission
:rollseyes

Last edited:

nj7703

Established Member
Be sure to tell that to the best drivers in the world....F1 racers. Screw technology....REAL men live in the past!:rollseyes:

Oh, and you are aware that the C6 Z06 and next version Cobra are both rumored to be using this same technology...correct?

:rollseyes

Does the M5 use it too?? i thought that had a traditional 6 speed? Look at AMG, all their cars are Auto, i don't see a major prob with it, but i would like the choise of a traditional clutch as well.

M-Phibian

Established Member
Oops..my mistake...the Audi TT is the only Audi that uses a clutchless manual like SMG. It's called DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox). The Audi RS6 and S4 have the Tiptronic option..which is an automatic transmission that can be shifted on the steering wheel using paddles. Totally different from SMG and DSG, as they are both manual transmissions. Thanks for making me looking further into it.:)

Originally posted by CobraNHYEE
You can add the Audi RS6(twin turbo V8 producing 450hp) which will hit the US soon. This too will have a paddle shift. I drove a friend's M3 w/ SMG and it was awesome. The downshifting is especially impressive. Feels like you're Schuemy or JPM in F1.

M-Phibian

Established Member
No, the current M5 does not have this option available. The next gen M5 and M6 (both with 500HP) and 333HP MZ 4 will have it as an option as well as the standard 6-speed. The next gen M3 (AKA M4) will have 425HP and the option of SMG or the standard 6-speed also.

Originally posted by nj7703
Does the M5 use it too?? i thought that had a traditional 6 speed? Look at AMG, all their cars are Auto, i don't see a major prob with it, but i would like the choise of a traditional clutch as well.

flipped

Established Member
nice ride man...???what do it rev out at...I was in a 2001 and it felt like 9000 till he shifted it wasnt the smg tho...wasnt paying attention I was filmin a street race actually we weren't in some tricked out vettes were showin off

M-Phibian

Established Member
I shift at 8,000 when I'm on it. Some guys increase their rev-limiter to 8750 and shift there, but I don't want to get stupid with an engine that costs 23k.

Originally posted by flipped
nice ride man...???what do it rev out at...I was in a 2001 and it felt like 9000 till he shifted it wasnt the smg tho...wasnt paying attention I was filmin a street race actually we weren't in some tricked out vettes were showin off

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
Oops..my mistake...the Audi TT is the only Audi that uses a clutchless manual like SMG. It's called DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox). The Audi RS6 and S4 have the Tiptronic option..which is an automatic transmission that can be shifted on the steering wheel using paddles.

not to split hairs but the tiptronic is controlled by a + - on the shift lever directly to the right of drive. I have never seen a paddle shift on any VW product......

--------> VW/Audi/Porsche technician for Boardwalk Auto Group

:)

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
ok, i get how the paddles behind the steering wheel work, but not the handle on the console. does it move into the different slots of the different gears like a regular manual would? or do you just tap it up and down? btw, nice car....

wtpSVTkh01

Established Member
M-Phibian, wont the new GTI R32 have the sequential tranny as an option? i thought i read that in motor trend when they were about to release it for sale in europe, they said something about how it will shift almost as fast as the SMG tranny in the M3 and the F1 transmission in the ferrari.

M-Phibian

Established Member
You just tap back and forth. Back to upshift, and forward to downshift.:) Thanks!

Originally posted by TORCH_RED
ok, i get how the paddles behind the steering wheel work, but not the handle on the console. does it move into the different slots of the different gears like a regular manual would? or do you just tap it up and down? btw, nice car....

M-Phibian

Established Member
You may be right brother. I completely missed that article. You're going to be seeing SMG type trannies in a lot of cars over the next 5 years.

Originally posted by wtpSVTkh01
M-Phibian, wont the new GTI R32 have the sequential tranny as an option? i thought i read that in motor trend when they were about to release it for sale in europe, they said something about how it will shift almost as fast as the SMG tranny in the M3 and the F1 transmission in the ferrari.

WontBSlow

Established Member
M-Phibian,

Beautiful car. Do you tend to use the paddle shifters or the shifter stick? Was it easy to get used to?

M-Phibian

Established Member
Hey wontbe - I can use either one to shift. I'll normally use the paddles during straight line acceleration or slight to medium turns. When my hands go past 12:00 and 6:00 during a turn, I use the SMG lever. It took me less than a week to get used to, and now I don't ever want a standard manual again. Thanks for the compliments.

Originally posted by WontBSlow
M-Phibian,

Beautiful car. Do you tend to use the paddle shifters or the shifter stick? Was it easy to get used to?

Users who are viewing this thread