MA Inspection requirements

ultimateburrito

Established Member
MA Inspection requirements(loopholes?)HELP!

Hey guys, so heres me situation i am trying to figure out. I am a Native of Mass, and am stationed in Arkansas for the Air Force. My enlistment will be up in about a year or so, and because there is no such thing as inspection stickers down here i dont know if my mustang will pass Mass inspection. I have Long tubes w/ extended O2 sensors, off road x pipe and flowmaster outlaws. Im just curious if this will pass.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Won't pass a visual, and if monitors are turned off it will be flagged.
So in short, no.
This state sucks.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
New Hampshire is becoming the same way now. I have passed members cars in nh as long as all the monitors are turned on. But don't show up to me with legit black windows/ lights or sounding like a stock car, I will not help at that point lol. You can contact Pete at performance Dyno in concord nh. He can get all your stuff turned on

My2003Mach1

Established Member
What about new hampshire? I need a loophole.

just a suggestion...

I have my Mustang reg in Florida...

Florida has no emissions... also if this is not your primary vehicle or I mean If your Mustang is used primarily for pleasure /recreational use, it doesn't matter the state its registered in. You just have to prove dual residency. (which is 6months 1 day in that state)

FACT! I have 3 other vehicles.. and I got ticketed in the state of Connecticut and went to court on it and won.
As long as my mustang is compliant to that states laws and regulations, I am with in my right to have "no emissions testing" "tint" my windows.
Anyway .. If you are looking to do this let me know I'm willing to help you out..

I send my registration in online nothing has to be done in person. You will need to get a "Florida" insurance company. if you need help let me know :)

I like to keep this simple and not share too much here...

Good luck either way..

Last edited:

gtmustang00

Established Member
No cats in NH and passed! I know in Nh for 03 you are allowed 1 monitor not ready.

ultimateburrito

Established Member
Thanks for all the answers guys, im just making sure i can keep my grabber blue beauty. If anyone has anything else to add, i am all ears.

matt87

Established Member
just register it in RI. most backyard stations like the one i go to dont do a visual and all they do is check to see if anything is showing in the computer, if not all set then. i have an off road pipe, cats turned off in the tune and it passed fine. Mass sucks.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
just register it in RI. most backyard stations like the one i go to dont do a visual and all they do is check to see if anything is showing in the computer, if not all set then. i have an off road pipe, cats turned off in the tune and it passed fine. Mass sucks.

I should get mine registered in Rhode Island.

All kidding aside I'm going to have to have it retuned by Pete not only for the monitor issue, but it's a tube from 09 and it was done by a tuner in MA that I am not a fan of. Also going to put some cats on it since it was flagged for the MAC center.

Anyone know if you can have LT's and a catted mid pipe and pass the visual for the MAC center. And are some centers "friendlier" than others?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I love when people bash Mass......Guess what, your state is next!!!

Two things you need to do to make sure you pass

1. Go to Performance Dyno in Concord MA, tell him you want the car to be tuned to pass MA inspection and he will take care of you. He's been doing this for a lot of cars.

2. Find a inspection station that doesn't do a visual inspection. There are plenty around here. I can think of two or three around me that just pull the car in, hook it up to the OBD2 reader and send you on your way. I am sure if you gave us your location a few people could help you with some local shops

No need to panic, if you stay patient and follow my advice and others from this thread you'll be fine.

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

Established Member
I should get mine registered in Rhode Island.

All kidding aside I'm going to have to have it retuned by Pete not only for the monitor issue, but it's a tube from 09 and it was done by a tuner in MA that I am not a fan of. Also going to put some cats on it since it was flagged for the MAC center.

Anyone know if you can have LT's and a catted mid pipe and pass the visual for the MAC center. And are some centers "friendlier" than others?

Some stations are friendlier than others...but if you got flagged, you're in trouble because they do perform a visual inspection. My buddy Tim went through hell and back because of this same issue. Hopefully you will be OK, but be prepared for the worst.

ultimateburrito

Established Member
Some stations are friendlier than others...but if you got flagged, you're in trouble because they do perform a visual inspection. My buddy Tim went through hell and back because of this same issue. Hopefully you will be OK, but be prepared for the worst.
Flagged? What do you mean? And what part of northern mass u at? Im from pepperell..

FromGTtoSVT

Established Member
That's funny, I live in Chelmsford....not even ten minutes from you.

Flagged? What do you mean? And what part of northern mass u at? Im from pepperell..

Flagged as in the OBD2 machine marks you down in the State registry as being illegal and you need to go to a state run center called a MAC center.

There , your car is put through a full visual inspection on a lift where someone will point out every single thing on the car thats not up to state code. Trust me, you do NOT want this. I had a friend with long tubes that the MAC center made him put his stock stuff back on in order to pass inspection, again not good.

The good news is we have a friend ( on this site ) that runs a local shop in Pepprell, he has a twin turbo 2v GT. Many of us ( including me) have gone to him for some work. I'd start there

Make sure you check him out Holmes Auto Repair - 16 Nashua Rd. Pepperell, Ma 01463 - (978) 433-0400 - Home

99PunisherSVT

Established Member

That's funny, I live in Chelmsford....not even ten minutes from you.

Flagged as in the OBD2 machine marks you down in the State registry as being illegal and you need to go to a state run center called a MAC center.

There , your car is put through a full visual inspection on a lift where someone will point out every single thing on the car thats not up to state code. Trust me, you do NOT want this. I had a friend with long tubes that the MAC center made him put his stock stuff back on in order to pass inspection, again not good.

The good news is we have a friend ( on this site ) that runs a local shop in Pepprell, he has a twin turbo 2v GT. Many of us ( including me) have gone to him for some work. I'd start there

Make sure you check him out Holmes Auto Repair - 16 Nashua Rd. Pepperell, Ma 01463 - (978) 433-0400 - Home

Too funny. I grew up in the next town over from Pepperell, Townsend. Spend a lot of time there at my buddies shop, Resurrection Auto, doing restorations on 60/70's muscle cars. Holmes Auto is about 5 min up the street. Good guy. His GT is unbelievable. Make sure you stop by and introduce yourself. He'll help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread