MAC 95 mm air mass bad for car?

Robb03

Established Member
I just heard that the 95 mm Mac Air mass might be bad for the cobra. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and could send links to topics discussing this. Thanks for all your help.

Robb03

Established Member
Does anyone know of someone who runs a mac straight shot on their cobra?

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
I was going to get one...everyone told me no...leans the car out...if you go with the bigger 95mm..ull need a tune right away...not worth spending 100-150 on a tune for a 200 intake.

i went with the Steeda CAI... alot of ppl also said that the MAC was poor quality. dunno if its true but i stayed away from MAC.

Robb03

Established Member
I haven't tuned mine, it runs great now, but I guess I need to do a a/f dyno to make sure it isn't too lean. When I did a baseline when I bought the car (it is an 1st run 03) it ran really rich. The graph started at 15:1 at 2k, and when straight down to under 10:1 at 6K. I wonder how much using the 95mm leans it out. Does anyone know?

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
i wouldnt say there junk. and its quality is better than alot of other intakes. i ran 14.1 a/f so i now run a jlt, but my friend has the mac and it was easy to tune it just moves the a/f ratio up about a point. its using the stock elctronics just a bigger maf housing so theres roughly 5%more air thats not being compensated for.

yes u defintaly need a tune to run this intake, i will put mine back on here shortly and have it tuned.

however if i were to do it again. yes i would go with the sct maf. but i would definatly not knock the mac

Robb03

Established Member
so you had a MAC and it took your A/F up to 14.1? Wow. When was your car built? I have heard the first run cars ran a lot richer then the other. I think I am going to do a A/f tomarrow if I can to make sure I am still o.k.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
nope mine was a second run. built dec 02 all car dec 02 and up are second run. or so i am told. yeah my a/f ranged from 13.1 all the way to 14.1 with xpipe cat back and apten, ported intake and tb, apten also took me up a point i was running about 13.1 before apten.

me and my friend would both do sct again tho, only because of our eventual hp goals. but if your goal it 600 or less the mac will work great, and it is easy to tune. the guy that tuned my friends it was his first one to tune. and he said it was easy and worked great. i think most tuners just complain cause its not the "norm" and makes them actualy have to think and work a bit. these tuners have base tunes that are usaly dead on, with mafs like this it takes them a couple shots to nail the tune, and i think that irritates them. plus i heard some aftermarket mafs dont work to well all together.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
I run their cold air kit on my 03. It did lean the car out some... but I was getting it tuned anyways ;-) The tuner added 10% fuel to richen it up slightly and it wound up making 24 more rwhp than a 4" WMS velocity tube.

It also depends somewhat on how you "reclock" the MAF as you can position the meter anyway you want with the straight shot cold air. One of the guys on here went to a Steeda kit over what he was running... moved the maf roughly a 1/4 turn (meter straight up then) and it richened it up. I'm not sure if that would make a difference with the MAC kit as it is a bigger meter housing.

Lot's of people on here will give MAC a bad rap... but their kit is very good looking, and does what it's supposed to do. I have their cold air as I said along with the full compliment of exhaust on my car and it sounds great and runs remarkably well. To each his own I guess.

HTH,

Shannon

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I have always heard that the stock MAF is surprisingly one of the best....you might want to rethink it.

Robb03

Established Member
Just to keep anyone updated who has been following, but my car is running a touch lean (12.5-12.7), so I am going to have to tune it. I could go back to the regular mass air, but I don't want to, I like the extra air, I just need to get a little more fuel. I think I am going to get a predator, I eventually might change the pulley anyways. I got pretty good numbers, 380ish, then 409, then 419 rwhp SAE. I think the numbers could have been better, but the car was heat soaked to begin with, and he didn't put the gas pedal all the way down on the first run, so my numbers were crap. On a different dyno last week I did 450 rwhp SAE, but I think that dyno is off, those numbers are way to high for a bolt on non-changed pulley car. I'll go back to the second place after I get the predator and redyno with better air/fuel numbers

Users who are viewing this thread