MAC Longtubes... Who Has Them?

MT0911

Established Member
What's up guys - Well - I just found out that I have a hairline crack on the drivers side header (JBA Shorty) so... it looks like it's time to replace/upgrade.

Been looking at MAC this past week. I've had 2 of their midpipes but I've never purchased Longtubes from MAC. Recently, I heard that they really stepped up their quality and the fit & finish is awesome. I was thinking of getting some MAC ceramic coated Longtubes and the Lethal Performance X-pipe.

I know a good number of you guys are running MAC - who has purchased recently? I'm just looking for some info as far as quality, fit, finish from first hand experience. Thanks guys!

Jaysin

Established Member
My car had Mac longtubes on it when I bought it, they have a little rust on them, but seem solid. It also had a Prochamber on it, which I swapped out for the X pipe from Lethal like you want, and fitment was pretty bad, It took ALOT of strong arming it just to get the bolts lined up right, and I still don't think it's sealed off completely. I'm not sure if it's just the pipe I got, but I wouldn't buy the same X pipe again, I'd probably spend a little more and try the VRS X.

MT0911

Established Member
My car had Mac longtubes on it when I bought it, they have a little rust on them, but seem solid. It also had a Prochamber on it, which I swapped out for the X pipe from Lethal like you want, and fitment was pretty bad, It took ALOT of strong arming it just to get the bolts lined up right, and I still don't think it's sealed off completely. I'm not sure if it's just the pipe I got, but I wouldn't buy the same X pipe again, I'd probably spend a little more and try the VRS X.

I'm surprised the fitment on the lethal performance x pipe was bad - I've heard that they are pretty good. Did you try loosening the Longtubes a little before trying to bolt up the X Pipe?

From what I hear the VRS X pipe are really a nice quality pipe. That would be my other option. Thanks for the response man! I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the MAC Longtubes - I really only wanted to check in with SVTP in case anyone wants to convince me otherwise lol.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Didn't buy mine recently, actually about 3 years now. I purchased them along with x pipe from Lethal. Fitment was perfect on the headers, tucks up really nicely and they look brand new still. The x pipe didn't fit and my catback had to be extended to bolt up. Had I known that the shop was going to modify my Borla stingers to fit I would've opted to go with a different x pipe, would've preferred to cut up an x pipe than my stingers.

MT0911

Established Member
Didn't buy mine recently, actually about 3 years now. I purchased them along with x pipe from Lethal. Fitment was perfect on the headers, tucks up really nicely and they look brand new still. The x pipe didn't fit and my catback had to be extended to bolt up. Had I known that the shop was going to modify my Borla stingers to fit I would've opted to go with a different x pipe, would've preferred to cut up an x pipe than my stingers.

Interesting - I may end up going with the VRS X Pipe afterall. I'm running Borla's also and the last thing I would want is have them modified especially after how much cash I laid down for them!

I'm happy to hear another positive feedback about the MAC Longtubes. For the price - I really don't mind giving them a shot. If they last me a few solid years, I'd be happy and if you've had yours for over 3 years now... that sounds like a winner.

Jaysin

Established Member
Yea man I'd spring for the VRS X pipe. I didn't loosen the Longtubes when fitting the X, but I really don't think it would've helped that much. I've had nothing but great experiences in dealing with Lethal as a vendor, it's just their X pipe didn't fit well at all. Though I'm not complaining too much because of the price of it, but I was discouraged. Like I said, I got it on, but I don't think it's 100% sealed on the driver side, it was a bitch to deal with.

4vmoose

Established Member
I just finished installing mine this weekend, figment wasn't too bad, I had to ratchet strap one on the passenger side. Quality looks ok, I went with the off road h-pipe. I'd buy 'em again.

MT0911

Established Member
Yea man I'd spring for the VRS X pipe. I didn't loosen the Longtubes when fitting the X, but I really don't think it would've helped that much. I've had nothing but great experiences in dealing with Lethal as a vendor, it's just their X pipe didn't fit well at all. Though I'm not complaining too much because of the price of it, but I was discouraged. Like I said, I got it on, but I don't think it's 100% sealed on the driver side, it was a bitch to deal with.

Yea - the reason why I asked is because I had a similar problems in the past when swapping mid-pipes and even though it's a giant pain in the ass, loosening the header bolts and then tightening the mid-pipe/header bolts in a timely fashion actually helped the fitting.

But definitely I'll look into the VRS X-pipe; the price is a little more for Stainless steel but actually cheaper if you don't opt for that. I'm assuming the cheaper option is just aluminized steel which is fine for me. I've heard good things about the VRS though (good fitment, nice quality, and nice sound). Thanks for the input man!

I just finished installing mine this weekend, figment wasn't too bad, I had to ratchet strap one on the passenger side. Quality looks ok, I went with the off road h-pipe. I'd buy 'em again.

Thanks for the feedback. I have an O/R H-pipe on right now but I prefer the sound of the X-pipe. I used to have a 2V and I ran some Borla Stingers through an O/R X and it sounded amazing. I'm looking forward to the switchup on the Cobra. It should sound pretty nice especially with the Longtubes.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
I have them on both my 03 cobra and my recently 4v swapped 00 saleen. I have the leathal x-pipe on both as well. Seemed to fit fine for me. Best price i found was at stage3motorsports, $469 for ceramic and $350 for chrome shipped.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

VRS makes our x pipes so it's the same piece whether it's purchased from us or from them. If there's a fitment issue with the pipe please let us know and we'll do our best to work with the manufacturer and make it right.

Thanks,
Jared

MT0911

Established Member
I have them on both my 03 cobra and my recently 4v swapped 00 saleen. I have the leathal x-pipe on both as well. Seemed to fit fine for me. Best price i found was at stage3motorsports, $469 for ceramic and $350 for chrome shipped.

Thanks for looking out - The prices there are the cheapest I have seen so far. Thanks man!

VRS makes our x pipes so it's the same piece whether it's purchased from us or from them. If there's a fitment issue with the pipe please let us know and we'll do our best to work with the manufacturer and make it right.

Thanks,
Jared

Awesome info. I heard something along those lines a while back but couldn't remember exactly. Thanks for the clarification Jared!

Last edited:

Jaysin

Established Member

Thanks,
Jared

Wasn't aware of that, good info to have. Must've been the pipe I got, or maybe I should've loosened the headers, either way it's on there now and isn't coming off anytime soon! Haha! I've had a pleasant experience shopping with you guys and I'll continue to do business either way.

:beer:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
No worries guys. Just wanted to make you aware so that you didn't think you were getting something different when you're actually getting the same think. Regardless if it was purchased from us and you have an issue with it please give us a call and we'll do our best to help you out.

Thanks,
Jared

trxcobra

Established Member
Ive had MAC headers on my car for about two years now and no issues! holding up nicely and fit well. Also have the Lethal catted X, fit perfect for me and sounds awesome!

MT0911

Established Member
No worries guys. Just wanted to make you aware so that you didn't think you were getting something different when you're actually getting the same think. Regardless if it was purchased from us and you have an issue with it please give us a call and we'll do our best to help you out.

Thanks,
Jared

Great! Well, Jared - you guys will be getting a call from me pretty soon. I have a few parts that I'm going to need ;)

MT0911

Established Member
Ive had MAC headers on my car for about two years now and no issues! holding up nicely and fit well. Also have the Lethal catted X, fit perfect for me and sounds awesome!

Thanks for sharing your experience man - so far I'm hearing great things. This is definitely a good sign.

zPipes

Established Member

Hey thats awesome, Im getting ready to do this in a couple weekends, could use a helpin hand lol. Was it your first time? Hand tools on your back or what? Ive read a ton, and what I'm coming to understand is its not too hard, its just a huge pain in the ass and frustrating.

MT0911

Established Member
Hey thats awesome, Im getting ready to do this in a couple weekends, could use a helpin hand lol. Was it your first time? Hand tools on your back or what? Ive read a ton, and what I'm coming to understand is its not too hard, its just a huge pain in the ass and frustrating.

You can jack up the car, place a jackstand with 2x4 or 2x6 wood on top underneath the oil pan to support the motor. Remove the k-member/cradle and then you should have full access to bolt up the longtubes. It's kind of a long process but it'll make your job easier.

But yes - hand tools on your back will get the job done. Just be patient.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I picked up a gently used set of MAC's awhile back and will be cleaning them up over the summer to hopefully get around to installing them this Fall. If you don't have an aftermarket k-member but have been thinking about purchasing one, now would be a great time to knock out two birds w/one stone.

4vmoose

Established Member
I picked the car up on jack stands, used a small jack and blick of wood under the bell housing, dropped the k-member, and lowered the engine a bit. A good penetrant and a creeper are game changers! I used Kroil. And you'll need a larger combo wrench for the egr, I think I used an 1 1/16th. It was my first header install and I did it on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread