MAC longtubes

tx03snake

Established Member
hey guys since my motor will be out of the car soon i have been thinkin about doing some things to it to save time and hastle in the long run. i want to put headers on and have been thinkin about installing some MAC longtubes. just wondering what some of yalls thoughts about them are and if any of yall know about ballpark of what they might cost?

thanks guys

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I bought a set of the MAC ceramic coated long tube headers a couple of months ago and plan to install them over the holidays. I got mine for under $500 (including shipping).

Based on everything I've read, MAC has greatly improved their quality in recent years and they fit well with no leakage issues. I'll post an update once I get them installed...:beer:

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Mac's are good for the money but If you going to go thru the hassle of installing or having longtubes installed I would go with ARH or Kooks. I went with ARH and their great! I believe Mac's are only 1 5/8th, IMO them are pretty small.

Comp04svt

Established Member
I have a set on my car right now. They fit nice and tight to the floor and I dont have any issue with them as far as leaks go.

I will be changing them out to a set of ARH 1 3/4's though. I feel with the whipple and ect.. that the 1 5/8's are to small to run cats with..

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Installing a set right now. Its not a hard install at all if you remove the kmember.

I recommend you get them here: 99-04 mustang cobra long tubes creamac coated:eBay Motors (item 220515577194 end time Dec-23-09 12:08:19 PST)

Ask him to buy a set for 350 shipped, thats what I paid and I got them and they are perfect.

Did you need the O2 sensor extensions? I used to have a set but sold them when I didn't need them for my Bassani X-pipe. Do I need to buy another set for the MAC longtubes?:shrug:

sean2e

Established Member
im looking into longtubes also. mac being the affordable brand. worth it gains wise you think?

racebronco2

Established Member
I have a set on my car right now. They fit nice and tight to the floor and I dont have any issue with them as far as leaks go.

I will be changing them out to a set of ARH 1 3/4's though. I feel with the whipple and ect.. that the 1 5/8's are to small to run cats with..

The cats are the choking point and going to larger diameter headers is not going to make the cats flow anymore.

For what is worth, there is a book on "Building 4.6 horsepower on the dyno".
They did a test with 1 3/4 vs 1 5/8 kooks headers. The 1 5/8 came out about 10hp/10ft better in the midrange and equaled the 1 3/4 at the top end. This was on a 600hp kenne bell 4.6 at 10psi. This was the only test they did that compared the 1 5/8 vs the 1 3/4.

I have the macs long tubes and don't have any complaints.

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I have the MAC 1 3/4 on my car and love them. They ran about $450 ceramic coated. Just make sure when you are ordering that the company you are getting them from didnt have them laying around for a long time, there were some fitment issues with some of the older styles that have since been fixed.

RGrossman

Established Member
The Mac fitment issues were fixed awhile ago (2+ years). They were on nationawide backorder several times. If your going to get a set, goto the ebay seller I listed above. I got them for 350 shipped from him. You won't beat that price anywhere... I matched mine with an offroad prochamber.

Also, use the stock gaskets. I bought a new set but they can be reused as well. They are the best for sealing. Stock gaskets and stock studs/nuts works best. Allows for easy installation alignment and you can really torque them down with the studs/nut vs. stripping something out with the normal bolt installation.

Last edited:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I picked up a set of the stock gaskets and grade 8 fasteners from Steve @ Tousley Ford. I think the total cost for both was around $90...

Comp04svt

Established Member
The cats are the choking point and going to larger diameter headers is not going to make the cats flow anymore.

For what is worth, there is a book on "Building 4.6 horsepower on the dyno".
They did a test with 1 3/4 vs 1 5/8 kooks headers. The 1 5/8 came out about 10hp/10ft better in the midrange and equaled the 1 3/4 at the top end. This was on a 600hp kenne bell 4.6 at 10psi. This was the only test they did that compared the 1 5/8 vs the 1 3/4.

I have the macs long tubes and don't have any complaints.

What do you think about going with a 3" cat/x-pipe/collector say from the kooks or arh, is the half inch that big of a deal? Unless the magnaflow cats that were supplied in the x-pipe I have are not up to par. They are claimed to be high flow. There is a 2 psi difference between the catted pipe and the non-catted. :shrug:

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Mac's are good for the money but If you going to go thru the hassle of installing or having longtubes installed I would go with ARH or Kooks. I went with ARH and their great! I believe Mac's are only 1 5/8th, IMO them are pretty small.

1 5/8 is not that small. It's gonna flow. Now 1.5 inch primaries would be ridiculous.

bwahl602

Established Member
1 5/8 is not that small. It's gonna flow. Now 1.5 inch primaries would be ridiculous.

1.5 inch primaries would still be more than adequate... IMO

compared to the stock manifolds which have like a 2 inch exit for all 4 pipes (within 12 inches of the valves) ... 1 5/8 is more than adequate..

i was gonna hold out for some kooks... but i think for now while the budget is tight, im gonna pick up these ceramic coated macs... cant beat that price... ill upgrade when the motor gets built

thanks guys

bill

bwahl602

Established Member
ps id love some pics of the mac longtubes uninstalled and installed... especially with the ceramic coating...

aanyone have a ceramic coated set in there car for more than 6 months? still holding up (the finish)

cobraJason

Established Member
I just installed mac ceramic coated Lt's and x pipe over the weekend and ran into to issue of the o2 sensors being to short is there splicing the wires to make them a little longer actually safe cause i dont want to do and and have it not work just to save 50 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread