Mac Mini V. iMac

99GTvert

Established Member
My laptop is down for the count and I'm looking for a replacement. I already have an iPad so im looking for a desktop, and since I have iEverythingelse (iPhone, iPod, etc.) I was thinking about getting an Apple. A lot of people I work with have them and have nothing bad to say. I was thinking of either the mini mac mid-grade model or the base iMac. I don't need anything fancy but the specs looked about the same and both are probably plenty for me. The mini mac was about $400 cheaper but didn't come with a keyboard or mouse. Anyone have experience with either of these? Pros? Cons?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I just got a new Mac Mini a little while ago, the base model, and it's awesome. I have it in my living room hooked up to my 42" Vizio. The Mac Mini is the better buy IMO, you are looking at about $120 for an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so you're paying an extra $300 for the monitor with the iMac. You can get some really nice monitors from newegg for about $150 if you don't already have one.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Have a Mac mini as well. The thing is amazing. I have the exact same set up as Carbd.

PureStang

Established Member
if you don't wanna worry about wires going everywhere, get the iMac because all you would have is the power cord. If you don't care, mac mini would be just fine.

word of warning, the current generation mac mini doesn't have an optical drive (dvd/cd/etc) where the iMac does. if you use cds for anything, you should get the iMac.

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
I own last years iMac 27".....great piece of machinery for web browsing and music. I upgraded the graphic card for gaming, but havent done any since I own Ps3 and Xbox 360. The iMac is a little pricey, but I have no issues whatsoever and thats in comparison to being a Windows user all of my life.

TrevorR90

Banned
I have an Imac 27"I was skeptical about buying it but as soon as I powered that bad boy on I instantly fell in love with it. The screen is huge!!!

99GTvert

Established Member
Thanks guys. Not too worried about the optical drive or one extra hdmi cable, I'll probably just run it up through the wall anyway. Just making sure it wasn't some gimmick they were trying to sell me at the apple store.

Users who are viewing this thread