MACA guys, any info on the Reston area?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Hey guys/gals, it looks like my girl and I are going to be moving from where we live now (between Rockville and Gaithersburg) to the Reston area.

Anyone from around there? Have any do's/don'ts? We will be renting for a year or two until we have a serious down payment saved up for a decent house. We are looking right now at two apartment complexes; Archstone Reston Landing and The Sycamores. Both places off decent looking places (from pics and floorplans) and have solid amenities. We are looking at a 1-bedroom, and these places run about $1200-1350 a month, plus utilities. That price range is fine for us. We are going to look at these places at the end of the month in person.

I work in the Dulles/Sterling area of 28 and she works in Arlington, so it's kind of splitting the difference and lessening both our commutes compared to crossing the river from MD.

So I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the Reston area in general, or more specifically if you have any info on the two places mentioned above that would be great/

Mustang289

Established Member
Reston is a solid area to live. We live in the Sterling area and I grew up in Arlington. Not familar with the places you're considering, but Reston is a nice clean place to live.

Friday nights at the Chic fillet in Sterling by Lowes has a cruise in car show every Friday night.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Be VERY careful where you choose to live in Reston. Like any other place it has its slums. I would have to look at a map to refresh my memory as to specifics since it has been awhile.

With you working where you do (and I think I know specifically where LOL) and her working in arlington I am not sure that reston is the way to go. but I have not had to deal with that crap DC traffic for so long I am not sure where I would go. but I would lean towards living closer in so she would have the shorter commute. I don't know what your salary is like so obviously affordability is going to be a huge consideration. Vienna is nice if you can get close to the subway and her job is on or close to a subway stop. I commuted to downtown from Mclean, Reston, and Sterling. and then out to reston from Mclean and Sterling. That coummute is better than the former.

Hey guys/gals, it looks like my girl and I are going to be moving from where we live now (between Rockville and Gaithersburg) to the Reston area.

Anyone from around there? Have any do's/don'ts? We will be renting for a year or two until we have a serious down payment saved up for a decent house. We are looking right now at two apartment complexes; Archstone Reston Landing and The Sycamores. Both places off decent looking places (from pics and floorplans) and have solid amenities. We are looking at a 1-bedroom, and these places run about $1200-1350 a month, plus utilities. That price range is fine for us. We are going to look at these places at the end of the month in person.

I work in the Dulles/Sterling area of 28 and she works in Arlington, so it's kind of splitting the difference and lessening both our commutes compared to crossing the river from MD.

So I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the Reston area in general, or more specifically if you have any info on the two places mentioned above that would be great/

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
My parents actually have a place that they are trying to rent out thats located in Reston, its really nice. However it is a multiple bedroom townhome and is probably overkill for what your looking for. Right on a golf course though!

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
As FYI Archstone properties are top notch for the area. Here is a good site to search up dirt on apartment communities if your concerned about them. Keep in mind, people dont tend to leave feedback unless they are unhappy.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
As FYI Archstone properties are top notch for the area. Here is a good site to search up dirt on apartment communities if your concerned about them. Keep in mind, people dont tend to leave feedback unless they are unhappy.

Uh...Tim? I think you forgot the link. LOL
Tim knows where of he speaks, though. And as someone who crosses everyday from Olney to Falls Church, congrats!

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Be VERY careful where you choose to live in Reston. Like any other place it has its slums. I would have to look at a map to refresh my memory as to specifics since it has been awhile.

With you working where you do (and I think I know specifically where LOL) and her working in arlington I am not sure that reston is the way to go. but I have not had to deal with that crap DC traffic for so long I am not sure where I would go. but I would lean towards living closer in so she would have the shorter commute. I don't know what your salary is like so obviously affordability is going to be a huge consideration. Vienna is nice if you can get close to the subway and her job is on or close to a subway stop. I commuted to downtown from Mclean, Reston, and Sterling. and then out to reston from Mclean and Sterling. That coummute is better than the former.

I know what you're saying Dave, we considered trying to move closer, but the costs seemed to increase linearly the closer to got to the river. In the Reston area we get a maximum "niceness/dollar" if that makes any sense. And it still cuts her commute in half, while it cuts mine by 75%. We also considered Fairfax, but personally I'd rather live off the DTR than 50.

Thank you Tim, that is certainly good news. I mean I'm not pulling down CEO money, but I won't live in a dump. I would like that link if you can seem to find it.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, like I said we are going to look at a few of these places at the end of the month.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I know what you're saying Dave, we considered trying to move closer, but the costs seemed to increase linearly the closer to got to the river. In the Reston area we get a maximum "niceness/dollar" if that makes any sense. And it still cuts her commute in half, while it cuts mine by 75%. We also considered Fairfax, but personally I'd rather live off the DTR than 50.

Thank you Tim, that is certainly good news. I mean I'm not pulling down CEO money, but I won't live in a dump. I would like that link if you can seem to find it.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, like I said we are going to look at a few of these places at the end of the month.

:bash::bash::bash::bash:

Here you go.....

Reston Apartments for Rent - Reston Apartments Reviews and Ratings

You can fish through and change up cities for different areas.

:beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I used the Apartment Rating site and it helped a lot. I was looking at a few places that got pretty bad reviews on there, so I stayed away.

My girlfriend lives in Vienna and used to live right in Tysons Corner and that is a very nice area. Lots of good places to live. I agree with the prices in this area, I'm about to move in with friends to hopefully cut my rent almost in half.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly where you work, but got any openings for an Mech. Eng.? I'm looking for something in the NoVa area so I don't have a 30 mile commute to work anymore.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Uh...Tim? I think you forgot the link. LOL
Tim knows where of he speaks, though. And as someone who crosses everyday from Olney to Falls Church, congrats!

Thanks LOL! Actually I oversee communities from Gaithersburg to Southern Alexandria.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I used the Apartment Rating site and it helped a lot. I was looking at a few places that got pretty bad reviews on there, so I stayed away.

My girlfriend lives in Vienna and used to live right in Tysons Corner and that is a very nice area. Lots of good places to live. I agree with the prices in this area, I'm about to move in with friends to hopefully cut my rent almost in half.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly where you work, but got any openings for an Mech. Eng.? I'm looking for something in the NoVa area so I don't have a 30 mile commute to work anymore.

I'll ask around Dale. I know we just went on a hiring blitz in the last 6 weeks, but I will inquire anyway.

Mustang289

Established Member
I live in Sterling and commute to DC a lot - yes this is a crappy commute. But commuting from Reston to Arlington is not bad, there are many different routes you can take. Commuting from Reston to Rt 28 is a breeze you're going against traffic flow.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Reston is a pretty good area to live, as well as Herndon. But as RDJ stated, just be careful where you go.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
I was told to stay away from Herndon in general by more than a few guys/gals here at work. Apparently that area has taken a dive over the last few years. :shrug:

Herndon is fine as long as you stay south of the toll road. Reston is pretty nice too... I live pretty much on the border of herndon and reston (work in reston).

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I was told to stay away from Herndon in general by more than a few guys/gals here at work. Apparently that area has taken a dive over the last few years. :shrug:

Nah there are neighborhoods in the 'suburbs' of Herndon that are just fine. I think areas off of Fairfax County Pkwy are considered Herndon. A friend of mine used to live over there and I was looking for a house in that area a couple years ago.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I have worked in Reston (Wiehle and Sunrise Valley) for 7 years and have not seen anything really resembling a ghetto in this area. A few apt. complexes that may be a little lower rent, but not dilapidated. Clean as clean gets for the most part.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have worked in Reston (Wiehle and Sunrise Valley) for 7 years and have not seen anything really resembling a ghetto in this area. A few apt. complexes that may be a little lower rent, but not dilapidated. Clean as clean gets for the most part.

ghetto does not necessarily mean run down and unkempt. there are several areas that have more than their share of drugs and crime. usually apt and condos

herndon is another good spot as long as you stick to the newer areas. as has been said along the Fairfax county parkway is a good marker. I would not want to live along the DAR exit to herndon ...

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Being a Fairfax cop Ill tell you that Reston is one of the better places to live in the county. But I agree w/ the others that you need to chose your apartment carefully. I believe the Archstone is a good place to live and reasonably priced.

Good luck

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Being a Fairfax cop Ill tell you that Reston is one of the better places to live in the county. But I agree w/ the others that you need to chose your apartment carefully. I believe the Archstone is a good place to live and reasonably priced.

Good luck

Yup - listen to big Mike. One of my favorite officers. (Unfortunately NOT in my area)

On a side note - the Towne Center is probably one of the best places to go in general to drink/movies/dine around all of the Fairfax area - Jacksons is very very nice. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread