Mach 1 Eaton

kilgorepants

Established Member
Since I want a Kenne Bell for the Slowbra, and my buddy just bought a Mach, we're thinking about putting my Eaton on his ride. Anyone know how hard this is gonna be? I didn't think it'd be too bad because he said he doesn't care if the shaker is funtional. If anyone's done it or knows anyone who has, I'd appreciate any insight

IZZY

Established Member
The ever resourceful & brilliant Orange Blast (from the Mach1Registry) is about to embark on this very oddessy. He's busy canabalizing unsuspecting cobras & swindling the economically deprived for the required parts, so he can carry out his fiendish plot & complete the Mach's transformation into the true Super Cobra Jet Mach 1. Jimmy is the true Dr. Frankenstein. E-mail address you ask? [email protected]. :bowdown:

Orange Blast

Super Cobra Jet
Established Member
MACH Conversion

Technically its pretty straight forward. It will require a large buget. "Half "of what Kenne Bell is asking for his new Mach-1 9psi intercooler kit.

Finding all the correct part numbers for a true factory Cobra set-up is the most difficult of the equation. Ford shows litttle to no pictures of those brackets and pulleys required to run the S.C. set-up. Many of times I have ordered a part from Ford only to recieve something totally opposite of what I wanted.

I have however been compiling a list of those part numbers required to run both the accessory drive belt and the supercharger belt. And its more than what most would expect from first looking at the set-up.

Also a Cobra oil cooler is required to clear the new location of the alternator. (The Mach uses a GT oil filter bracket.) Along with all the Cobra radiator hoses and coolant crossover pipe. The power steering lines also may need to be replaced. The Cobra has re routed lines, but I believe for now the Machs could work if they are coaxed out of the way alittle bit. Will find out later on when the assembly goes through.

The intercooler pump has factory drilled holes in the stock location for mounting. However, there is no wiring harness to tie in the pumps power. It will have to be hard wired.

The Cobra and the Mach's engine wiring harness are nearly the same except the Mach lacks the Bi pass boost control sensor plug and the BARO sensor plug. Both are not nessary to run the conversion.

A chip will need to be burned for the new set up obviously. The knock sensors found in the Mach and not in the Cobra will need to be adjusted to prevent the computer from pulling timing from what it thinks is detonation but actually noise from the S.C.

If you choose to run the Cobra fuel pump, you will need the Cobra tank to! There is nothing you can do to make the Mach's tank work short of welding in a resevoir which is need to keep the pump supplied with fuel at all times. Except for running a half tank of gas!

A heat exchanger is possible to mount in the Machs grille area. However the incoming air flow will limit the ability of the exchanger to do its job. I have replaced my bumper cover with a OEM Cobra cover to take advantage of the big opening.

I'm sure I have left something out....

One day when I finish with my project, I plan to post my results with pics. Until then stay tuned and feel free to contact me at SSSSVT@aol with any other questions reguarding this conversion!

P.S. Many thanks to fellow SVT Performance member and friend for all the time involved scouring his Cobra for part numbers!!!
Hats off to "svtcobra03"

Last edited:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
technically, he could buy the kit from KB without the blower and go that route but you might aswell just by the whole kit at that point.

Orange Blast

Super Cobra Jet
Established Member
Eaton Conversion

Nope, that won't work. The KB kit only uses one belt. The original Mach factory accessory belt. The Eaton's snout extends about 2 inches further out requiring the user to go to the second belt & pulley set-up that Ford uses.

Users who are viewing this thread