Mach 1 K-member swap, engine removal, and valve spring replacement ("build" thread)

starnsey

Established Member
Well, I was pretty set on getting my Mach 1 running properly and putting it up for sale. I guess the Mach didn't like that idea so it decided to break on me. Apparently 03/04 Mach 1's aren't really selling well right now anyway so seems like it was meant to be.

Anyway, as some may have seen in my other thread, the engine was making a horrible clattering noise from under the passenger side valve cover. No I was not beating on the car - I just turned it on to go to lunch from the office and it immediately started making this horrible noise. So I left it on for a bit while I tried to narrow down the location of the noise. The car probably wasn't on for more than two minutes. After getting it towed back home and in my garage, I had a hell of a time pulling the valve cover even though everyone claims the passenger side is easy. But I finally man-handled it enough to get it off and the only out of place thing was this:

6fY7wcK.jpg

I believe that is a broken valve spring. I also believe I may have gotten lucky and had a clean break since the car was never above idle and not have any debris in the cylinder and perhaps not have bent the valve. We shall see.

Well, I really don't feel like getting the car towed to a shop and paying to get it fixed and since I've never dug into this engine before and I've wanted to know what components the previous owner used, etc, I figure now is as good of a time as any.

Yes, some might think, with such a clean break, I could get away with replacing the spring and going on my merry way hoping for the best and pulling the engine is too much work but I decided to say screw it, lets see what happens.

I've had a full Maximum Motorsports front end waiting to go into the car since December so I figured now is as good of a time as any. And if I'm going to be dropping the k-member (currently a QA1 tubular - not best for auto-x or corner carving), I might as well see how high I can raise the car and try to drop the engine out the bottom. If I don't get enough room, then I'll at least have a ton of room with the k-member out of the way to get a good angle on the engine and pull it out the top worst-case-scenario.

So here's the plan:
I'm going to use the engine support beam I already bought from Harbor Freight to hold the engine in place while I drop the k-member assembly. I could drop the whole k-member assembly and engine in one procedure but I need to consistently move forward on this little project and I won't have the opportunity to rent an engine hoist for a while, whereas I've already got the support beam.

I'll remove the hood (otherwise the garage door will hit it), raise the car up on jack stands as high as possible, and use an engine hoist to drop the long block onto a couple (or more) furniture dollies and slide it out the side of the car with transmission attached (I've got a few things to do to the IRS in the rear as well - change fluid, tighten up some bolts, etc).

I'll then separate the transmission and engine and get the engine on an engine stand for free access to all parts of it.

My plan at the very least is to replace all valve springs with a different brand (believe they're comp right now), replace the MMR oil pan with a Canton Road Race pan and baffle I have lying around right now, and get the valve covers powder coated Wrinkle Ford Blue and get my coil covers powdercoated silver. With the oil pan off, I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out what crank, rods, and pistons are in the engine and maybe finally figure out what the hell the compression ratio might be (I may be completely wrong here, I've never done this before, but I'm assuming the cast/machined pieces will have a part number stamped somewhere).

As I'm sure you're all aware, the chances of me not messing with anything else during this process is essentially zero, so perhaps I'll swap out the clutch and a few other things while I have complete access to all drivetrain parts. But that all depends on funds.

And so we begin:
14902080202_db6a8cca3d_b.jpg

Oil drained - no signs of metal shavings so I may have gotten lucky with no damage besides the valve spring.

This all happened over last week and the car went up on stands yesterday.

I didn't get to do anything tonight but I had a few gift cards to Lowe's from my birthday so I went and bought some possibly helpful tools:

14725705520_0a8c27f1e5_b.jpg

Brand wasn't really a preference but it had decent enough reviews and the gift cards covered the expense so it's what I went with. Got a 3/8" wrench to go along with it since I've got an electric 1/2" impact that should carry me for the time being.

Plan for tomorrow is to drain the coolant and get the brake calipers and rotors off and out of the way. I'm going to take this whole thing slow since having the car running isn't critical and hopefully I can keep track of all nuts and bolts and lose as few parts as possible.

I want to get pictures of the whole process since NOBODY has a write-up with pictures of dropping the engine out the bottom of the car so hopefully I'll be able to stay on top of this and update this thread with plenty of info. But as some of you may be aware, sometimes you get on a roll and get carried away and taking pictures is the last thing on your mind, so we shall see.

starnsey

Established Member
As a brief side note, I had to remove the insulation around this A/C line to get the valve cover off:

14735410457_50dcce2fa0_b.jpg

Day 2

Alright, so today I drained the coolant from the radiator and removed the front brakes and began on removing the spindles.

Question 1: What other location should I drain coolant from? I'm sure there's more in the block. A picture of the location would be nice.

Question 2: I need some tips on separating both the ball joint from the spindle and the tie rod from the spindle. Do I just need to loan a tool from AutoZone? The ol' dead blow hammer and WD-40 didn't do a damn thing.

Progress

I'm going to do as much step by step stuff as possible so you guys in the future can reference this if you need to. Keep in mind, my setup is a little different since I already have a tubular k-member and coil overs. Also keep in mind, beyond brakes and struts, this is all brand new to me, so it should be a good gauge on necessary experience level.

So first thing this afternoon is I pulled the plug on the radiator and drained the coolant into a 5 gallon bucket (by the way how do I dispose of this?)

14898995026_12fde43868_b.jpg

Brake Removal

After removing your wheels, find this e-clip on the stern side of the brake calipers:
14898994486_7bb4233544_b.jpg

Pull it out using needle nose pliers and remove the pin. You can remove the pin using pliers as well and sort of wiggling the pin and the caliper until it comes loose. Once you've removed the pin, snap the e-clip back on it and set it in a safe location so you don't lose them

14921636402_9dcb43dbc7_b.jpg

Now, lift the caliper from the rear and rotate it out of the caliper bracket. If you're having trouble, stick a flathead screw driver in the following location and pry up. It shouldn't take much force and any difficulty should be overcome with a little bit of wiggling of the caliper. Feel free to give it a few punches with the palm of your hand to break the pads loose from the rotor.

14921972115_2b6729916c_b.jpg

I should have said before removing the caliper, get some zip-ties primed up in the wheel well so you can easily zip tie the caliper away from the spindle and out of the way without hurting the brake line. You can get a decent idea of where I tied mine off. Notice I used two zip ties to give myself a little extra length to get it routed up and then tightened it down and away.

14898994026_744282bc3a_b.jpg

You should be left with this:
14735407697_d875ca7781_b.jpg

To remove the bracket, just undo the two 15 mm bolts on the back side of the spindle:
14898991556_524a57c6a7_b.jpg

I threaded the bolts back into the bracket and set the whole assembly aside so I don't lose the bolts.

Pull off the rotor and set it aside along with the caliper bracket.

14898990016_48f4359318_b.jpg

(Now at this point, with stock A-arms, you would want to go through the process of removing the front springs. When I removed the springs on my 99 GT, I followed this same process as below but ensured that a floor jack had consistent pressure on the underside of the a-arm so the spring would slowly be de-compressed. Once the A-arm is lowered fully, you can press down on it a bit further with your foot and with a little muscle, you should be able to yank out the spring. I take no responsibility if this doesn't work for everyone as I'm sure every scenario is different - but it was a hell of a lot better than using a spring compressor)

Strut Removal

My plan involves leaving the struts mounted at the shock tower since they should generally be out of the way. So I only removed them from the spindle as seen below.

Using a 24 mm socket, remove the nut holding the ABS sensor wire bracket.
14898989256_8ab8867049_b.jpg

Also use a 6 mm (or 7 mm - I don't remember) socket to remove the ABS sensor from the hub and set it out of the way so it doesn't get caught on anything.

Be sure to keep a few of these nearby to make sure you're properly fueled
14921973605_d1dcd61f51_b.jpg

To prevent the A-arm from just crashing down after removing the strut, I usually place a jack stand underneath it somewhere, in this case, the studs (probably not the best location but whatever). Also, you can see the floor jack underneath the a-arm to let it down slowly when the time comes.

14918899001_c729a6724e_b.jpg

Using a 24mm deep socket on the nut side and a 21mm socket on the bolt side, undo the two strut mount bolts. I usually do the bottom one first, remove the nut and the bolt, then just remove the top nut and leave the bolt in to make any last minute adjustments to make sure the a-arm doesn't try to fall down with the spindle.

14735400737_9d1053da9f_b.jpg

14921978695_597f7c1afc_b.jpg

And with the a-arm and spindle supported, voila!
14921975735_e9d24a9c29_b.jpg

Now, depending on what sort of (if any) caster/camber plates you have, you should be able to move the strut out of the way in most directions. My Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates allow me to move the strut all over the place.

Next up is these rat bastards:

14921974265_daa3e1866f_b.jpg

14735306510_36ea134004_b.jpg

Using needle nose pliers, I bent the retainer pins and removed them. I doused the two castle nuts with WD-40 and went to work on the driver's side while they soaked. Came back and undid the castle nuts with an electric impact wrench. By the way, that ball joint castle nut was kind-of a 26 mm. I don't know if it's aftermarket from the QA1 setup or what, but it was not an exact fit and 26mm was the biggest socket I bought to try to remove the stupid thing.

The nuts came off with ease, but after multiple blows with a heavy hammer, those things did not move in the slightest. So I gave up until tomorrow when hopefully some of you guys give me some good ideas on how to get them loose.

Another thing, I'll be using blue locktite when I put these strut bolts/nuts back together because the ones holding the ABS bracket on were backing out...no bueno.

Also, as another side note, I've never bought a pair of these before, but these $5 mechanics gloves from Harbor Freight are freakin' sweet! You don't get much dexterity but for big nuts/bolts like these, they're great. You don't have to worry about them tearing like vinyl/latex gloves and you have a much smaller chance of busting your knuckles open when you finally get one of those rusty nuts/bolts loose. Also, working in Houston humidity requires a headband.

14735351878_5fa10006cb_b.jpg

starnsey

Established Member
This is extremely detailed! Nice job looking forward to this thread growing into a novel :popcorn:

Yeah, just hoping I can keep the motivation going with keeping it detailed. I'm sure at some point I'll get frustrated with something in the garage and forget to take pics. I'll do my best though.

How many miles did you have on your Comp springs, and when were they bought?

I'm not 100% certain but I know it's less than 10k miles. The engine was built by the previous owner in 2008. I'm not certain if that's the year the valvesprings are from since I believe he had one engine built before this and I don't know if he used the same heads or not.

starnsey

Established Member
Ended up just using a tie-rod puller to get the tie rods loose - super easy and free from autozone loaner tools. And the ball joints came loose after a few more hammer swings. Guess the WD-40 just needed to spend the night penetrating the ball joint.

So the spindles are off the car! If you were me, would you replace your spindles/hubs since everything else going in is new? You can get a pair of refurbished assembled spindles for $400 from late model restoration now and mine are pretty ugly looking.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Ended up just using a tie-rod puller to get the tie rods loose - super easy and free from autozone loaner tools. And the ball joints came loose after a few more hammer swings. Guess the WD-40 just needed to spend the night penetrating the ball joint.

So the spindles are off the car! If you were me, would you replace your spindles/hubs since everything else going in is new? You can get a pair of refurbished assembled spindles for $400 from late model restoration now and mine are pretty ugly looking.

How much for just the hubs, seems that would be cheaper than messing with the entire spindle assembly and a lot cheaper.

BTW awesome posts and I've always loved the MAch 1s.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

Put drop spindles on it

starnsey

Established Member
I don't drive it in rainy weather. But there's always the chance of getting stuck in it on accident. Just thinking with everything removed, now is as good of a time as ever to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread