Mach 1 owners come in please

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
This thread is for my cousin, he found a 2004 DSG Mach 1, 55k miles unmodded owned by a middle age guy...He's been looking around for Machs (currently drives a 2008 Passat, nothing special) but he is just concerned about any issues that are expected with the car....Just a little concerned I guess because he has a warranty and everything now and will be giving it up, gas is no issue but just curious to see what kind of problems if any should be expected? Thanks.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
About the only common problem with Mach 1's are with the transmission. Some will grind when cold and most can be fixed with a fluid change. Just use a bottle of the Lucas Trans Fix when doing the change and it should be good to go. It worked for me before I swapped for a T-56.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
machs don't really have issues that any other new edge wouldn't have to worrt about. the thing with the tranny i the same for all 3650's, but not really a big deal. the only thing i've heard fro machs is on some the shaker rattles, but that can be dealt withby tightening the mounts under it. not realy an "issue" though

STG

Banned
No issues with mine. Of course, if you decide to drive like John Force does on weekends, you'd better have John Force's sponsors.

DON'T OVERFILL THE TRANSMISSION. CHECK THE REVISED FILL LEVEL _ IT IS LOWER THAN WHAT'S PRINTED IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

The shaker rattle has a TSB - replacing the nylon mounts. If the shaker doesn't rattle, think about buying the mounts from Ford while they're still available.

I bought an extra OEM chin spoiler and will get an extra rubber apron that mounts underneath the shaker.

Last edited:

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
i wouldn't really worry about anything. i was in the same boat once upon a time but i realized that there's nothing unusual or mach specific to worry about.

EVO-lution

Established Member
the only problem i found with my 03 DSG is that it tends to wanns GO!....for some odd reason once in a while the gas pedal gets pushed to the floor :burnout:

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
I have had only one problem with mine. My A/C leaked out 6 oz. Cost me $150 bucks to fix. That is all in 2 1/2 years. I only drove it 4000 miles though for a total of 9012 on the car now lol. The nylon mounts for the shaker are $65 EACH. I lost one once when I took it off. I about shat myself. I ended up pulling the upper intake to find it. I wasn't going to pay them that much. I spritzed some seafoam on them when I put it back on for safe measure. I am surprised by the pleasure this car has given me compared to my GT. BUY IT BUY IT!!
BTW, my tranny never had the fix and shifts smooth as glass. Held up to ver 150 nitrous launches as well on the stock clutch.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
ac pump went out on mine around 30,000 miles and that's the only problem i've had...knock on wood...lol great cars. what part on tn are you in?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
56000 mile and no problems. ive had the car for almost 2 years and i beat on it more then i should but its so much fun. buy it, cant go wrong with a FORD :banana:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
No issues with mine. Of course, if you decide to drive like John Force does on weekends, you'd better have John Force's sponsors.

DON'T OVERFILL THE OIL. CHECK THE REVISED FILL LEVEL _ IT IS LOWER THAN WHAT'S PRINTED IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

The shaker rattle has a TSB - replacing the nylon mounts. If the shaker doesn't rattle, think about buying the mounts from Ford while they're still available.

I bought an extra OEM chin spoiler and will get an extra rubber apron that mounts underneath the shaker.

Fixed. :beer: The dipstick is incorrect on the readings. You have to install 6-6.5 QTs. Tranny's are 3LITRES, not Quarts. That's the common mistake on that one. (unless you're right stan and I'm not familiar with something on the tranny regarding the owners manual)....either way, we covered both. :lol:

The 3650 has a TSB for synchros going out.
Some machs end up with the infamous head tick. (still an ongoing debate on that topic).
Shaker mounts are pretty much a non-existant issue now.

04's have the revised heads.

Mach1Chick

Wanna Race?
Established Member
I was in the same boat as your cousin. I had a BRAND NEW 07 Mustang with full warranty and all that crap adn found the Mach 1 I have now. I kept thinking back and forth to myself - Brand new car, dont have to worry about problems that come with used cars, warranty OR a car that i want and i know i will have fun with. So i got the Mach with only 4,000 miles (trading my 07 with only 17,000 miles on it) and i haven't regreted my decision one bit!! I have had no problems with my car at all. Tell him to get it!

STG

Banned
Fixed. :beer: The dipstick is incorrect on the readings. You have to install 6-6.5 QTs. Tranny's are 3LITRES, not Quarts. That's the common mistake on that one. (unless you're right stan and I'm not familiar with something on the tranny regarding the owners manual)....either way, we covered both. :lol:

The 3650 has a TSB for synchros going out.
Some machs end up with the infamous head tick. (still an ongoing debate on that topic).
Shaker mounts are pretty much a non-existant issue now.

04's have the revised heads.

I meant transmission fluid. Tremec and Ford have revised the fill level on the 3650. It is now lower than what is in the owner's manual.

Here's the TSB. The revised fill is on page 2. 3 liters down from 3.8 in the Tremec service manual.

tsb_3650_1.jpg

tsb_3650_2.jpg

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I meant transmission fluid. Tremec and Ford have revised the fill level on the 3650. It is now lower than what is in the owner's manual.

Here's the TSB. The revised fill is on page 2. 3 liters down from 3.8 in the Tremec service manual.

tsb_3650_1.jpg

tsb_3650_2.jpg

Gotcha.....I didn't realize the tremec manual even showed the 3.8L. I've only been aware of the 3L advised in Ford's manual.

Learn something new every day.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread