Mach 1 Question

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Now I know that the weakest part of the IRS is the half shafts and various other parts, but what is the weekest part of your guys suspension? Would you blow a rod before you broke anything with the rear end or trans?

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Stock axles. They are only 28 spline and have trouble with a high rpm launch. They have been known to snap.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Never had any issues with my stock axle but I swapped it out anyhoot. I have the OEM axle on a shelf in my garage if anyone needs one. Along with the stock wheels and tires and a Steeda hi-flow cated X pipe, upper and lower controls and OEM shocks and struts. Anyone interested shot me a PM.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
HotRodK said:
Stock axles. They are only 28 spline and have trouble with a high rpm launch. They have been known to snap.

Interesting, thanks for the post.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
factory stock 28 spline's are stronger than the reputation that follows them. There have been several people that have kept them, ran DRs and MT ETs 9a select few) and have had no problems on several passes.

BUT, if there is one weak link, I would too say that. Only because the rods and pistons (if non-FI or Nitrous) will last longer.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I'd have to say the stock wheels and tires. These cars will light the tires up so quickly it's rediculous. They could definitely use a 275 tire in my opinion.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
HotRodK said:
Never seen anyone break a wheel or tire????? :shrug:

Are you kidding. Plenty of people have 'broken' the tread on the tires. Or should I say: Broken traction with the stock CRAPbacks. :beer:

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
I snapped my axle at the track last week. The factory axles get smaller at the tips for some reason. The taper down to a smaller diameter at the very end which is were they have a tendency to twist off. I replaced the carrier and axles with Ford racing 31 splines.

Last edited:

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
War Trophy...
brokenaxle.jpg

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
grey03mach1 said:
I snapped my axle at the track last week. The factory axles get smaller at the tips for some reason. The taper down to a smaller diameter at the very end which is were they have a tendency to twist off. I replaced the carrier and axles with Ford racing 31 splines.

Yeah, but you race quite a bit grey......and were you spraying.

Didn't know about the tapper........good info. :beer:

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Yeah, but you race quite a bit grey......and were you spraying.

Didn't know about the tapper........good info. :beer:
I wasn't spraying when at the tree when I launched. I can't complain really, Not many factory axles would last with the abuse I put them through. However, my buddy broke his half shaft 1 hr before I did in his 03 Cobra. A factory axle is 100 dollars.....a factory half shaft is 300 dollars.

Ironhand

Banned
XCELR8 said:
I'd have to say the stock wheels and tires. These cars will light the tires up so quickly it's rediculous. They could definitely use a 275 tire in my opinion.

275s are nice, but only on the front, the best look with better performance to boot is a 315 or what ever else you can cram under the rearend of a Mach. Btw 10.5 with a 315 tire gives me only about 1/4 of an inch of clearence between my Borla catback and the inside of the tire and that is with a 28mm offset in the rim.

Users who are viewing this thread