Mach 1 Upgrade costs?

kelsey

I would like to upgrade a Mach 1. I'm thinking Turbo,and replacing crank,rods, and pistons to forged components. What else is prone to breakage if you pass the 500-600hp mark? Will the rear handle it or do you go w/ 31 spline. Can the STOCK auto trans handle this power? Thanks!!

Silverboost

Established Member
I would say the stock auto will not be able to handle 600 rwhp for too long...but it also depends what you are going to use the car for...drag racing or just some street fun...

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Since the car came with an automatic trans, you are correct that the engine will need forged internals. (Sticks were forged...auto's weren't) There are plenty of companies out there who can build you a tranny that will support your horsepower levels.

With that kind of hp, I would definitely plan on a 31 spline (or better) differential. The first time you hook it with slicks and a converter could be ugly otherwise. 28 splines should be plenty for street tires and an auto trans, but it's still not what I would consider bullet proof. Didn't Mach's come with 31 splines? Possibly sticks are 31 and auto's are 28??? I'm not sure about that.

I would also consider a rear end that had C clip eliminators too.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
...you are correct that the engine will need forged internals. (Sticks were forged...auto's weren't...)

I thought only the crank was forged? Pistons and rods were not to my knowledge.

Silverboost

Established Member
just the crank was forged with sticks...auto's were not....I would do some of the basic bolt on's for the Mach..like a full exhaust, intake, tune...and then I would just turn it into a autocross terror...I would mod the cobra for the 600+ horsepower range and turn the Mach into a corner carver...

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
autos get the cast iron crank, which is pretty strong by itself, but why bother when there's a commonly available steel crank.

its got the WAP aluminum block, but powdered metal rods and hyperuetectic pistons. basically throw the entire rotating assembly in the garbage.

all high performance is an exercise in break-and-replace. beefing one thing up just moves the weak point to somewhere else.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
You are correct...and I should have clarified that.

No problem. The reason I mentioned it was because a Mach owner once tried to tell me that the Machs came with forged pistons and rods from the factory and that they could handle just as much boost as the Cobra.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
BlackSabbath said:
No problem. The reason I mentioned it was because a Mach owner once tried to tell me that the Machs came with forged pistons and rods from the factory and that they could handle just as much boost as the Cobra.

thats when you agree, and talk them into putting a KB set at about 19lbs of boost on it.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread