Mach 1 vs LS3 Camaro

Mach Boy

Established Member
Cliffs at the bottom.

Unlike most people on here I just go to work and back home and that's all the driving I do in my car and it's always in rush hour. I haven't had a race since last fall when I ran the LS1 Dodge Ram. I'm driving home from work this evening in a good mood and I thought to myself it would be nice to have one race. Not two minutes later I spot a Midnight Blue (my favorite color) 5th Gen up ahead. I'm catching up but I'm also getting closer to my exit onto a connecting road that I take in my commute. He's a couple cars ahead of me in the other lane and then merged into mine. We both end up taking the same road. We get stopped at a light with him in front and me right behind him (1 lane.) He gives it some gas and I stay right behind him.

A few miles up the road divides into 2 lanes and I take the other lane and we hit a red light. He rolls down his passenger window and says "your car sounds awesome what do you have done to it?" I told him and asked if he was an auto or stick. The oncoming lane now had a turn light so green is nearing. I asked if he wanted to run up to 50 (40 limit). He said sure I'm already late for my meeting. The light turned green and we were off. I pulled a fender then hit 2nd and got a little loose in the back as I was fighting for traction. Pulled it up to almost a half car and shut down around 55 and he kept going. He kept going and then finally he slowed down. I gave a thumbs up to which he returned it. He said man I missed third.

Meanwhile a half mile ahead I see reds and blues and my lane of traffic is completely empty. I merged in behind the Camaro and got into the middle turn lane. He gave me another thumbs up as I turned off on another side road. I don't know if that cop had already been stopped or if he was waiting on us but I wasn't about to find out. There's no doubt in my mind in either scenario that he heard us.

*Cammed Mach 1 beats unknown mods LS3 by a half car from 0-55.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
images

So you mean to tell me, the guy didnt say something along the lines like

"pshh ill smoke you blind folded in your GT BRO"

or

his girlfriend did not wink at you?

I had to double check the URL and make sure this is SVTP

Good runs, good sportsmanship

Wish more mustang owners were like you

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Nice kill man rep the mach my man:beer:. How much did those FR500 cams gain you in rwhp? Where do you feel the difference in the rpm?

Sent from I love you.....wait wut

Mach Boy

Established Member
Nice kill man rep the mach my man:beer:. How much did those FR500 cams gain you in rwhp? Where do you feel the difference in the rpm?

Sent from I love you.....wait wut

I did the cams, ported intake and LTs all at the same time. All three of those took me from 305rw to 360rw on the same dyno (obviously not the same day). I picked up some length to my RPM band but there isn't a huge difference from before in where I feel it. You can gain more from an aftermarket/custom cam. FR500 is the equivalent of a GM hot cam. It's a nice bang for the buck but IMO if you're doing cams on these motors you don't want to be in there more than once. I had to get new cams and valves and that's what I could afford at the time.

My only regret was not going with the 5.0 BB block when the machine shop ruined my original block. I opted to just save some more money when they picked up the tab for the new block. In fact I probably could have picked up a stroker crank pretty easily at the time too and sold my original crankshaft and only would have been out a couple hundred bucks. It sure would have been nice to have a 5.3L making in the neighborhood of 400rwhp and gobs more torque than what I have now.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I did the cams, ported intake and LTs all at the same time. All three of those took me from 305rw to 360rw on the same dyno (obviously not the same day). I picked up some length to my RPM band but there isn't a huge difference from before in where I feel it. You can gain more from an aftermarket/custom cam. FR500 is the equivalent of a GM hot cam. It's a nice bang for the buck but IMO if you're doing cams on these motors you don't want to be in there more than once. I had to get new cams and valves and that's what I could afford at the time.

My only regret was not going with the 5.0 BB block when the machine shop ruined my original block. I opted to just save some more money when they picked up the tab for the new block. In fact I probably could have picked up a stroker crank pretty easily at the time too and sold my original crankshaft and only would have been out a couple hundred bucks. It sure would have been nice to have a 5.3L making in the neighborhood of 400rwhp and gobs more torque than what I have now.

That's my plan 5.3L BB :pepper: I want to be upwards of 400rwhp on motor and try to daily drive the beast hahahaha but again nice kill I cant wait to get cammed times 4 lol

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Nice kill. I get all my runs to/from work or school also. I love the way cammed machs sound btw.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Nice runs, man! Too bad you could not have taken it a little further...and get it on vid...That would have cool to see..
Agreed on the FR500 cams..I was looking at those cams also. In a couple of weeks, I will be getting a Fidanza Billet Aluminum Flywheel and SPEC II Clutch...after that I will be saving for the Comp cams 104600..

Users who are viewing this thread