Mach 460 sound information

riored94cobra

Established Member
Well guys I have been trying to figure out a way for us to put aftermarket speakers in our mustangs, but i found some information that i think you guys should read:

http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/index.php/t-538244.html

After reading this the only proper way to put in aftermarket speakers that are atleast 2-ways is to buy a new head unit and run new speaker wire through the car. I know it sux, but thats what i concluded after reading the post above and having over 5 years of car audio experience.

Any Q's just ask. I'll be glad to help anyone with anyone's car audio for any vehicle.

Bullitt66

Adiccted SVT Poster
Established Member
well, i got mine with an aftermarket head unit and two door speakers, he took out all the mach460 system... why??? ghezz i don't know why people here take the radio out...

genoapb

Established Member
Yeah, I just learned this the hard way last week. I thought id replace the rear woofers with some some JL audio 6W0 and to my surprise when I was done it sounded worse and the system kept shutting down. Sucks! So im going to put the stockers back in. Riored, is there any way I could wire an aftermarket amp off the stock system and run a sub? I know there is a component that allows you to do this with other stock systems as some of buddies have done it but after reading your info im not so sure it would work on this mach 460 crap? Thanks

pipe

*pee* ~pay~
Established Member
genoapb said:
Yeah, I just learned this the hard way last week. I thought id replace the rear woofers with some some JL audio 6W0 and to my surprise when I was done it sounded worse and the system kept shutting down. Sucks! So im going to put the stockers back in. Riored, is there any way I could wire an aftermarket amp off the stock system and run a sub? I know there is a component that allows you to do this with other stock systems as some of buddies have done it but after reading your info im not so sure it would work on this mach 460 crap? Thanks

+1, i want to run a sub and amp off the stock system

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
my system sounds good (with stock 460s) and dual 4th order 12"s .. I upgraded the stock 6x8s with QA speakers .. gonna pull the entire system and custom create new pillars for the QA 3.5"s so the system will look completely stock once I'm done.

most of those guys don't understand the system and how it works .. that's why they all say to pull everything out and replace all the speakers.

the ONLY thing I don't like about the MACH 460 is that the front amp/crossover pushes 500hz+ to the 2.5" speakers .. the 6x8's are good at 500hz and below as they are run in MONO.

I even had to create my own harness to the rear deck because the previous owner cut the harness out trying to get subs installed ;)

Tim

Last edited:

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have been in general pleased with the Mach 460,for a factory unit,but it does have its drawbacks. I have always thought that the midrange was too muddy and the bass undifined.
my winter project is trying to fix it without tearing it out.I think a powered sub,with X-overand filters for for the 2.5s and 6x8s may help free up some response and alow for a more defined Bass vs midrange,what do you guys think??

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
genoapb said:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133153

FunkyBoss

Established Member
genoapb said:

All you need is a line out adapter. The link Trak provided goes into the specifics. I used the adapter with a POS Plye amp pushing 2 10" Power Acoustic FUBR subs and it sounded pretty damn good in the GT. I pulled that stuff to put in the Cobra, hooked everything up all nice and neat with a new installation kit, and the damn amp won't work now :cuss: . I have a feeling I'm getting a new amp and head unit for Christmas, can't wait.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
If you want the 3 ohm, just do the following:

go to Radio Shack and buy a 2ohm audio resistor and add any aftermarket 4ohm speaker. They are run in MONO (6 ohm each 3 ohm Total Ohms) ..

simple PIE math applies: 4 ohm speaker + 2 ohm audio resister (in series on the positive lead) equals 6 ohm total. If you are using a DUAL VOICE COIL then you need to install them as such: wire each coil of the speaker in series (4 ohm + 4 ohm = 8 ohm speaker) & (2 ohm audio resister across the speaker terminals) = 6 ohm total per speaker which is what the MACH 460 system looks for and won't cut off at higher volumes.

you can get the 2 ohm units most anywhere, but here is a link from MOUSER (I spend a lot of money there with my conversions) - http://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...00KB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-CP10-K-2

I too have many years of audio and alarm experience, been in the industry since 1983 :eek:)

Tim

riored94cobra

Established Member

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Over a year ago I replaced all four of my 6x8 speakers and the rear two 2" mids...all Pioneer's. It does sound better than the stock speakers did, but still not good enough. The 6x8s I used were two ways, so basically the mids in them are useless right now. I plan to pull the speaker enclosure box and amps out next year to save weight. I will put a new head unit in, rewire the entire system, and mount the speakers directly to the metal frame. I think if I use speaker baffles it should sound better. I will also probably do away with the 2" mids and just use the 6x8s for this and install a pair of tweeters.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
MustangMitch said:
i have 2 jls off the stick sytdsim.. BEASY BUyh u get a part to make it work s

sounds gooddddddddddddd
Must use good grammer to post on this forum! :dw:

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
biggest issue with aftermarket radios is that the typical unit has 25-35watt outputs trying to run into the factory 4ch amp / crossover - a lot of issues if you turn your new radio up over the typical 15-20 "mark"

;)

EDIT: that flemworld post is just a copy n paste from the link already posted in this thread :(

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
99SVT3753 said:
If you want the 3 ohm, just do the following:

go to Radio Shack and buy a 2ohm audio resistor and add any aftermarket 4ohm speaker. They are run in MONO (6 ohm each 3 ohm Total Ohms) ..

simple PIE math applies: 4 ohm speaker + 2 ohm audio resister (in series on the positive lead) equals 6 ohm total. If you are using a DUAL VOICE COIL then you need to install them as such: wire each coil of the speaker in series (4 ohm + 4 ohm = 8 ohm speaker) & (2 ohm audio resister across the speaker terminals) = 6 ohm total per speaker which is what the MACH 460 system looks for and won't cut off at higher volumes.

you can get the 2 ohm units most anywhere, but here is a link from MOUSER (I spend a lot of money there with my conversions) - http://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...00KB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-CP10-K-2

I too have many years of audio and alarm experience, been in the industry since 1983 :eek:)

Tim
so you need 6 resistors total? one for each speaker?

they have no polarity, correct? just wire them in on the pos side?

edit: 8 resistors, for 4 tweets, 4 drivers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread