Mach I gets worked!

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
Let me first preface this by saying that the person driving the Mach I seemed to be very cool and that I know that a blown vehicle is more than a match for a N/A car, but...it was fun nonetheless! :) I was exiting the freeway and downshifted a little prematurely next to a Mach 1. I think he may have thought I was 'revving on him' as the term goes, but I was not. He was going to be making a left at the exit but immediately pulled in behind me to make a right. As the light turned green, I proceeded onto the street and rolled into 2nd gear (putting several car lengths between him and I). When we got the the first light, I told him that I had a supercharger and gave him the 'thumbs up'. He motioned down the street indicating that he still wanted to run when the light turned green. I figured he had fair warning (girlfriend in the car and all) so I got ready for the light change. Upon green, I 'puffed' through 1st gear (to about 4.5k RPM) and put it in second. At this point I had about 1/4 car length on him and then the boost came on. As I was still a little loose (gotta love RWHP!) I pulled a car length or two and then hit third. From that point it was academic! He fell behind very quickly and made a u-turn at the first opportunity. Like I said at the beginning of the post. I know that my car was more than a match for his, but it was still a lot of fun for a Sunday evening cruise. Just wanted to share!!!! Hope everyone is having and fun and safe Memorial Day weekend! :)

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Are you happy with your 3.73 gears? What did the Bullitt come stock with, 3.27's or 3.55's? Can't make up my mind what to do with my 97.
Mighty Rooster said:
Let me first preface this by saying that the person driving the Mach I seemed to be very cool and that I know that a blown vehicle is more than a match for a N/A car, but...it was fun nonetheless! :) I was exiting the freeway and downshifted a little prematurely next to a Mach 1. I think he may have thought I was 'revving on him' as the term goes, but I was not. He was going to be making a left at the exit but immediately pulled in behind me to make a right. As the light turned green, I proceeded onto the street and rolled into 2nd gear (putting several car lengths between him and I). When we got the the first light, I told him that I had a supercharger and gave him the 'thumbs up'. He motioned down the street indicating that he still wanted to run when the light turned green. I figured he had fair warning (girlfriend in the car and all) so I got ready for the light change. Upon green, I 'puffed' through 1st gear (to about 4.5k RPM) and put it in second. At this point I had about 1/4 car length on him and then the boost came on. As I was still a little loose (gotta love RWHP!) I pulled a car length or two and then hit third. From that point it was academic! He fell behind very quickly and made a u-turn at the first opportunity. Like I said at the beginning of the post. I know that my car was more than a match for his, but it was still a lot of fun for a Sunday evening cruise. Just wanted to share!!!! Hope everyone is having and fun and safe Memorial Day weekend! :)

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
I think that the 3.73's are the best choice for a supercharged application. You still only tach about 2350RPM at 70MPH and the acceleration is still lively. Unless you really have some serious work done to the suspension to get the power down, I would think that the 4.10's and up would present a serious traction issue. For me, they are a great compromise, but to each his own! :)

SVThink

Good kill !

I plan to procharge my GT in the next year and I am keeping the 3.90's in it. Should make for some nice burnouts! Time for Dr's !

BooRail85

Banned
XCELR8 said:
4:30 if your only concern is the quarter mile and you could give a phuck what the cars driveability is like.

not true at all. I have 4.30's in my 98 and I wouldnt have anything else. drivability is no worse than the stock 3.27's. Actually, probabily better. I can take almost any turn in town in 4th gear with no problem, less shifting = easier on me and being able to stay in higher gears = less rpm, which in turn = better gas mileage. Only down fall i have found is 4th ends at 120mph, so 5th is a dog!!

go 4.30s in a 4v!!!!

pottsy

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
4:30 if your only concern is the quarter mile and you could give a phuck what the cars driveability is like.

I have 4.10's, do 75% of my driving at highway/freeway speeds, hardly ever race (made a whopping total of 7 passes down a 1/4 since I've owned the car)....and I feel I do not have enough gear. 1st gear is more than useable. 4.30's are the perfect gear for a 96-98 Cobra, go actually drive a 4V with 4.30's and get back to me on the "driveability."

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Since when have 4.30's made for bad driveability. I'm with Pottsy, I have 4.10's and they aren't enough. I will soon be going to 4.56's (this is my daily driver). 4v's love gear, the steeper the better.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
XCELR8 said:

I open track my car and the 4.30s kick ass, I use 3rd and 4th gear and the car rips hard outta any corner I can throw at it. The car did very well at Hallett this last weekend, thats a track with many turns and killer late apexs in the corners. 4.30s or nothing :coolman:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
4:30 gears take away from the top end of the car, reduce the gas mileage, and make 1st gear worthless. What gear are you guys going through the traps with? 5th!? 4:30 gears are great way to make the car feel faster, and yes with a sticky tire it will reduce and E/T, but other than that they're worthless. The car is quicker with them, but definately not faster. Of course, I'm totally out numbered here, so I'm going to lose this arguement. Have fun turning 4 grand on the highway. :rolleyes:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
I have been thinking that a 3.90 gear would be perfect for the 4V w/Vortech setup. I cant imagine trying 4.10s or higher with a blower. First and second would be useless, and in the rain, forgettaboutit...

Has anyone tried the 3.90 with a blower? I think that would be enough to help our soft bottom end until the boost comes on. :shrug:

BlueThriller04

281 Films
Established Member
4.30's all the way...My gas mileage has not changed at all. Also your not gonna turn 4k on the highway in 5th gear while cruising.
Remeber Don't Fear The Gear! :beer:

J

MachOneThis

Established Member
Nice kill and nice car.

4.56 gears here and love them - take off a lot in 2nd these days and overdrive is much more useable around town. I do not think they are too much, but will change the first gear to around 2.96 (instead of 3.38) in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread