Machined finish 17x10.5 with silver finish opinions

Azsnake

Established Member
I am looking at getting a set of 17x10.5 rims for the rear. I like the look of the stock 99' rims. They don't make a 10.5in replica of them though. I've been looking at 03 replicas in a machine finish.

The machine finish looks *pretty close* to the silver finish. Anyone ever done this? Opinions? Bad idea?

Just to clarify I would have stock rims on front, the 03 Cobra reps in the back

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
IMHO it will not look good at all. They 03 reps look entirely different. I say either widen your rears... or pick up 2 spare 99 rims and widen those. There is really no way around it if you want 10.5 out back. Plus, in the future, I can see a set of 17in 99's with 10.5 out back being worth a pretty penny to 99/01 Cobra owners looking to add some meat out back and keep their ride true to its roots.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
i was gonna widen my rears but when i figured out how much it was gonna cost i changed my mind. if you can afford to widen the rears then go for it because nobody does it. its definately cool and unique

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
i was gonna widen my rears but when i figured out how much it was gonna cost i changed my mind. if you can afford to widen the rears then go for it because nobody does it. its definately cool and unique

I will definitely agree that it isn't going to be the cheapest route, especially when you can pick up a nice set of aftermarket/replica wheels for cheap. However, as DSG has said it's definitely unique. As a matter of fact I have only seen this done twice!!! And one was in a issue of 5.0 magazine where a guy built up a twin turbo 99 Cobra and wanted to keep it completely stock looking. :beer:

Go for it. They will look great, and you will not having a hard time getting rid of them if they don't.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
its 200 a wheel plus shipping if you use weldcraft. then you gotta buy tires..it gets expensive real quick

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
i love my factory wheels but i am ordering black 03 replicas that are 17x9 and 17x10.5 and keeping my stock wheels just to have them or someday widen them just to have

conrad87

Established Member
since my stock 99 rims will be getting replaced, I thought about having the rears widened one day since theyll just be sitting in my closet

Azsnake

Established Member
Well I may just end up buying a set of rims and widening the stockers sometime later on. Thats a good chunk of change for 2 wheels!

conrad87

Established Member
But you have to figure that you already have the front ones, only paying to widen the rears when otherwise you have to buy 4 different wheels.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
And you have to buy spacers. Don't forget the added cost of those.

When Weldcraft (or anyone) widens the wheel, they do it on the inside. So the backspacing of the wheel will change. The extra 2.5" will be on the inside and you will encounter clearance issues unless you space the wheel out from the hub.

-Kevin

Azsnake

Established Member
And you have to buy spacers. Don't forget the added cost of those.

When Weldcraft (or anyone) widens the wheel, they do it on the inside. So the backspacing of the wheel will change. The extra 2.5" will be on the inside and you will encounter clearance issues unless you space the wheel out from the hub.

-Kevin

I actually had this thought occur to me last night. I'll have to reconsider my options now.

Users who are viewing this thread