MAF at idle

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I'm trying to track down a p0171/p0174 that has so far passed every single EGR, evap, and vacuum test I can think to run...so maybe it's a bad MAF? What do you NA guys get for idle MAF readings? Would prefer gm/s or kg/hr in case your MAF is different.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Done that 3x
Replaced Intake gaskets
Smoked the intake
Smoked evap
Replaced filler neck gasket
Vacuum and pressure tested EGR
Replaced an oxygen sensor
Replaced Injector o-rings
I've even plugged every vacuum accessory and driven around.

Hell, I went so far as to fill the intake with water to make sure a casting plug wasn't leaking.

Trust me, when I said I've tried things...I meant it.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
MAF reads ~.65V at idle. I'm completely at a loss for what might be causing this.

The only "old" intake gasket is the plenum gasket, but I've hosed the entire area with carb cleaner and propane without an idle change.

Could a leaking header gasket cause this? I don't hear an exhaust leak at all.

shurur

Established Member
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/fo...ubleshooting-p0171-and-p0174?showall=&start=2

copied from this link....
Most Common Causes of P0171, P0174 DTC's

Although this is not the most complete list of causes... here are the ones that I've encountered on a regular basis:

CAUSE 1: PCV Tube's rubber elbow (where it connects to the Intake Manifold) is torn open and causing a major Vacuum Leak.

CAUSE 2: Intake Manifold Gaskets that are leaking Vacuum.

CAUSE 3: Fuel Pump that's going BAD, but hasn't completely fried yet.

CAUSE 4: A dirty (contaminated) MAF Sensor.

CAUSE 5: An exhaust leak right before the pre-Catalytic Converter Oxygen Sensors.

CAUSE 6: BAD pre-Catalytic Converter Oxygen Sensor.

Remember... the most important thing to consider (or keep in mind) when you're troubleshooting a P0171 or a P0174 trouble code is that whatever is causing it... is making the PCM think that too much unmetered air is entering the engine.

so what you said about an exhaust leak..or fuel pump..I'd test the fuel pump.

At least I'll give you a bump ttt

Last edited:

carnut726

Established Member
popo i am in the same place as you....I have a C/L maf and had a diablo chip when i got car. I had the diablo removed and a SCT tune put in though the X3. had the codes since then, problem is that when i put the diablo back in and removed the SCT tune i still had them..... GGGRRrrrr. I just got a factory MAF off a guy on here and i hope thats it. I ve done all the things you have also, and I to am at a loss. through the X3 my fuel pump duty cycle is right and all my numbers are right at ide, just under load it kicks the codes. I hope you figure it out becuz i will copy what you do and try it on mine.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
popo i am in the same place as you....I have a C/L maf and had a diablo chip when i got car. I had the diablo removed and a SCT tune put in though the X3. had the codes since then, problem is that when i put the diablo back in and removed the SCT tune i still had them..... GGGRRrrrr. I just got a factory MAF off a guy on here and i hope thats it. I ve done all the things you have also, and I to am at a loss. through the X3 my fuel pump duty cycle is right and all my numbers are right at ide, just under load it kicks the codes. I hope you figure it out becuz i will copy what you do and try it on mine.

Make sure to have your tune updated with a stock MAF transfer curve vs. the one for the C&L.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
By chance are you also throwing a code for slow O2 response?

Nope. Just the p0171 and p0174. Watching fuel trims, you can see the o2 sensors changing like they're supposed to. They still change at idle, they just don't ever switch lean.

NO ONE has a handheld they can datalog their MAF at idle, and give me a reading in kg/hr, Gm/S, or lb/min?!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have datalogs, but I'm not running a stock MAF or a stock housing. So I imagine that would change things.

The reason I was asking is because I noticed you're running shorty headers. Which shouldn't make a difference, but before I turned up the duty cycle on my O2 heaters I would get rich and lean codes. Granted I have mid lengths, but that's what I was thinking of.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I have datalogs, but I'm not running a stock MAF or a stock housing. So I imagine that would change things.

The reason I was asking is because I noticed you're running shorty headers. Which shouldn't make a difference, but before I turned up the duty cycle on my O2 heaters I would get rich and lean codes. Granted I have mid lengths, but that's what I was thinking of.

Your MAFV would be different, but the air mass should be the same.

Assuming you have stock heads and cams.

01yellercobra

Established Member
03 heads, Ford GT cams, big bore stroker. My air requirements are probably a little different.:D

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread