MAF Conversion....

Matt95L

Established Member
Pro-M was the best option when they were around they used an A9 Mustang computer along with the stock computer(to control the tranny).They were expensive though 1700ish new.

Ford motor sports also had a kit it replaced the stock computer with a computer that controls both the mass air and the tranny.The stock tune was a tad mild,but it can be corrected with a chip or Tweecer.It was around 1000 dollars new and also isn't being made anymore.

Ryan(Fireguy50) at Fordfuelinjection.com makes conversion harnesses.I think he has a few setups.

Pro-M/Proflow is out of buisness,but Pro-M MAFs are still being made by these guys http://www.massairsystems.com/ It sounds like they'll be adding more Pro-m products to there lineup

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
there just seem to be alot of problems with the conversion, but i don't have any personal experience with it so take it for what it's worth

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Mass air does not suck, it's easily tuneable, and adapts to changes light years better than Speed Density.

Thanks for all the info on the swap guys.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
The main gripe about mass air IIRC is that you need a separate computer to control the tranny. I wouldn't mind running a MAF conversion, just for the ease of tuning, and it's more mod friendly than SD.

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Thanks for the thread ezernut9mm, I lurk around on NLOC.NET a lot. We'll see how it works, it may just go stand alone as well like FAST. Who knows, it will more than likely be an over the winter project along with the new mill going in.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I believe even with the FAST setup you will need something like a baummeter to control the tranny. I've heard many good things about FAST though, many of the fast guys here use the system.

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Yeah, I've been reading in, and right now I'm just thinking through my fingers on the board. Just got back from the track tonight helping a friend tune his nitrous car, it's giving me the bug to get the stroker done and the MAF conversion in!

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I think the common question on the MAF conversion is if it is worth it. Many guys are now picking up the twEEcer and beginning to just tune the speed density, but since we have a lot of mustang guys here, they are so used to MA, that the first thing they want to do is switch over, and I don't blame them. Evil84Stang, what kind of stroker are you going to do?

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Well what I don't like about SD is the lack of cam selections to get the power band up in the R's due to the lack of duration SD likes. I'm used to spinning 7K R's, but was planning to keep the truck around 6200-6500. I'm planning on going with a 410 stroker for the truck, keeping it around a blower friendly 9.0:1 compressoin ratio. I am picking up a tweecer here soon, but will still tune the MAF set up with it as well.

fordwrench

In my opinion mass air is the onlt way to fly. When I got my 1993 lightning back in 1999 that was the first thing that I did for it! Sequential fuel injection is the best benefit with the conversion instead of the bank fire that speed density has to offer. The biggest thing that I noticed after the conversion was the smoothness of the engine operation with no tip in flat spots ect. The system that I used was the ford motorsport kit that uses a small overlay harness,new PCM, air inlet tube and a factory MAF with a factory airfilter box the kit even came with 30lb injectors. I work for Ford at a local dealership here in Calif (21years w/Ford). I do all the SVT vehicles and the Diesel trucks. My Lightning has run the best at the drags - 12:18 @ 114.68 on the stock rubber with all the emissions intact including the cats!! Engine mods include out of the box AFR 185 heads, extrude hone lower intake, crane 2030 cam, and a Vortech T Trim 10# boost w/scratch built after cooler,Bassani cat X/pipe and shorty headers this combo is trouble free. The Motorsport MAF is so simple when upgrading MAF units C&L has the calibrations for thier 80mm MAF so injector sizing is not an issue currently I am running the factory 2nd Gen 90mm MAF with 42lb injectors only very slight adjustments were ness to make this combo work. The Ford motorsport MAF kit is by far the cleanest conversion out there with no need to run a secondary PCM. I hope this info helps have fun and keep them running hard!!!

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I guess I should have updated the thread a little bit ago. With the cam install, injectors and what not going in the truck now, I've decided to go with a stand alone system. I'll keep everybody updated for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread