Maf relocation with procharger P1SC?

klep2024

Established Member
Alrite guys, this question is somewhat related to my meth injection questions in my other post.

My setup has the maf/iat located after the intercooler in the left side of the engine bay(fenderwell area) like most 99-04 procharger setups i've seen.

My question is, would it be a problem to relocate the maf/iat closer to the throttle body. The idea i have is to put it where the coupler is by the head unit. Basically swap the maf and the coupler. Do you think that would cause issues with tuning?

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Putting your suck-through MAF in that spot almost always causes drivability and tuning issues. They don't handle the turbulence well at all. You want to change MAFs to the new 05+ style slotted MAF. These do much better. HPX makes a good one that I use.

Chris

psychotuner

Established Member
back from the dead, but...

did you use the stock MAf in blow through ? People with the prochargers do it all the time!

if you were to get an 05+ maf sensor, would you need a whole new tune and injectors?

01yellercobra

Established Member
back from the dead, but...

did you use the stock MAf in blow through ? People with the prochargers do it all the time!

if you were to get an 05+ maf sensor, would you need a whole new tune and injectors?

You will need a new tune for the 05+ MAF, but you can keep your current injectors. The Procharger is designed for a blow through set up. That's why you see them like that all the time.:)

psychotuner

Established Member
Can one use a stock MAf and stock injectors with an FMU on like 5 psi ?

or

Can one use stock 24# injectors with an 05 slot maf and mafia ?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Can one use a stock MAf and stock injectors with an FMU on like 5 psi ?

or

Can one use stock 24# injectors with an 05 slot maf and mafia ?

you dont ever want to use stock injectors with boost. it needs bigger injectors and a dyno tune. else youll be risking the motor

the 05+ maf shouldnt need a mafia, but with a tune it can work well with 24# injectors.

klep2024

Established Member
Glad my question is being informative for others :thumbsup:
Whats the main difference between the 05+ mafs and 99-04 mafs anyway?

BTW i solved my prob thanks to chris and flowgoode...ordered lightning iat and relocation pigtail from tousley today!

psychotuner

Established Member
what about 05+ slot style maf with no tune for now. the 05's have 24# injectors,right? So does my Cobra, so the maf should work well with no problems

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
what about 05+ slot style maf with no tune for now. the 05's have 24# injectors,right? So does my Cobra, so the maf should work well with no problems

The air flow is different from an 05 and your car. A MAF curve is adjusted to air flow curve. It might be OK in some areas but you should get it checked, esp at WOT. Ifyou have a blower it would be 100% risky.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Glad my question is being informative for others :thumbsup:
Whats the main difference between the 05+ mafs and 99-04 mafs anyway?

The 99-04 MAF is called a tonsil style. And the 05+ is called a slot style. I think it has to do with the opening for where the air flow is read. I talked to a tuner about the 05+ and he knew a guy running that MAF with the bypass and meth really close and the car ran with no problems. He put one in a turboed 66 coupe and said it was a dream to tune. You will need a pigtail to adapt it to the 99-04 wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread