MAF sensor screen

Daniel Moran

Established Member
I had the air snorkel off my 01 Cobra today and noticed that the wire MAF screen appears easily removeable. It doesn't look like an airflow straightener, just a debris trapper. The Chevy guys routinely remove their MAF honeycombs (true flow straighteners) with good results. Have any of you guys removed these screens? Know of any adverse effects?

slither01

Established Member
I know that the installation instructions for the Densecharger have you remove the screen, and there is no screen with the C&L MAF, I have had no problems without it.

Daniel Moran

Established Member
MAF screen

Slither: that's good info. Thanks. My 94 SHO has the same screen but it is located downstream of the sensor wires whereas in the Cobra the screen is just upstream of the sensor wires. The SHO seems to run better without the screen. With the Cobra, I went ahead and took out the screen and the rubber air inlet silencer and the car pulls noticeably harder in all gears except 1st where the ECM might be subtracting timing past 5000pm. Don't know but I'll let the computer learn the changes a little longer. Like you say, if the Densecharger instructions call for removal of the screen, I should be ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread