MAF shot?

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
i was heading to the track yesterday, and on the way down i went to pass some slow ass's and after i passed(got up to 120ish) i let out and slowed down then noticed the car was running like shit(car breaking up and running real lean). pull over and checked under hood, nothing poped off. So im thinking the MAF went bad, i can disconnect it, and it runs better with it off for a few minutes then goes to crap real quick. the car uses a MAFia with the stock MAF, its a port/pullied car. i recently added a JLT RAI other than that nothing has changed in a while. unless you guys have any other suggestions im going to order a MAF monday, any ideas on where i should order one? autozone has one for $120. Or should i go with a OEM one? LMK what you guys think and any help is appreciated.

steve5575

Established Member
If you decide to change out your MAF I have a stock one I replaced at about 60k for a Delta Force Bazooka. I'll sell it to you for $35 shipped. Worked fine when I took it off. If nothing else it will tell you whether the MAF is bad.

I'll bet it's your FRPS though.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestion guys, from what ive researched it said that bouncing of the limiter causes this. i didnt hit the limiter while doing my pull but i have done it a few times in the past. I think there is also a way to check to see if the FRPS is bad, correct? ill keep searching and see what i can find out, thanks again

Digital

Established Member
Normally it'll throw a code that wont trip the cel, check that.
Pull the FRPS off a buddys cobra, that'll tell you right away.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Normally it'll throw a code that wont trip the cel, check that.
Pull the FRPS off a buddys cobra, that'll tell you right away.

ok ill go check that code...dont have a buddy with a cobra.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
just used my sct handheld to pull codes, and none where found. i also pulled the vaccum line off the FPRS and no fuel leaked out. so what do you guys suggest next? also the car will start up for a split second and then die, no matter what it wont stay running, also the fuel pumps are loud and can be heard priming up.

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
Does your oil have a strong smell of fuel? I had the same signs with a blown frps.

Digital

Established Member
I think I have a spare frps laying around. I'll look for it and send it to you monday if you want, if it works you send me $$ if problem still there you send it back.
Now you have a buddy with a frps.

(on a side note if u have a cute g/f or wife buy one from ford and have them take it back with a confused look on their face saying they bought it by accident, just make sure you wash it good to get the gas smell off)
Ask how I know that works?

Last edited:

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
I think I have a spare frps laying around. I'll look for it and send it to you monday if you want, if it works you send me $$ if problem still there you send it back.

(on a side note if u have a cute g/f or wife buy one from ford and have them take it back with a confused look on their face saying they bought it by accident, just make sure you wash it good to get the gas smell off)

That's what I am talking about... I love this community:beer:

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
check the frps, been there with the same prob. Mine failed electrically and I also had no fuel in the w/ the vacuum line off.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member

lol, that works for me man :beer: and no cute GF either(or ugly one). that would be awesome if you could do that for me. PM me if you ever get around to finding it and ill send address.

Digital

Established Member
I looked all over the place, tore through my garage. I must have sold it. Sorry man.
Get one from tousley, that's the cheapest way. Worst case scenario you have a backup.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
I looked all over the place, tore through my garage. I must have sold it. Sorry man.
Get one from tousley, that's the cheapest way. Worst case scenario you have a backup.

thats cool man thanks for the effort anyway, so you guys are still leaning towards the FRPS? i can prob get a used MAF cheaper but with no codes or anything, im lost.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
hate to high jack your thread bud, after reading this i think my frps maybe bad as well. my oil has only 250 miles on it and smells like straight up gas! if i hit it wide open throttle, it smokes like a diesel. and i have blue flames coming from my tailpipes on decel!!! and on wide open pulls every now and again it'll get to about 4200 rpm and stop reving, hold 17 lbs. i put new tr7ix plugs in, didnt seem to help. i am leaning towards the frps too

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
hate to high jack your thread bud, after reading this i think my frps maybe bad as well. my oil has only 250 miles on it and smells like straight up gas! if i hit it wide open throttle, it smokes like a diesel. and i have blue flames coming from my tailpipes on decel!!! and on wide open pulls every now and again it'll get to about 4200 rpm and stop reving, hold 17 lbs. i put new tr7ix plugs in, didnt seem to help. i am leaning towards the frps too

no prob, the more people that can get help from the this thread the better, im going to go smell my oil and see what it smells like.
EDIT: it does not smell like oil. im thinking its the MAF

Last edited:

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
got the FRPS in today from tousley, put it on and it fired right up, you guys are the shit, i never would have though it to be that :beer: thanks again guys.
now i need to change the oil correct? that sucks, i just changed it with full synthetic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread