MagnaFlow Cat Back INSTALLED!!

KingKobra

Established Member
Well, it arrived via UPS tonight... I installed it in 3 hours by myself.... the directions have a header that states (independant rear suspension) so I'm thinking that this was the new batch fitted for the 03 cobras too. :rolling:

Sounds terrific! When I first started it, I was overwhelmed by a deep whooooommmmmm.... for those who are curious, this is definitely LOUDER than stock.

A question for those who know: I drove around for a while and it started to smell... I did make sure that the whole setup is at least an inch from any part of the body... is this smell just the break in period for the new pipes?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
My Mac Catback took a few heat cycles to get rid of the smell also..again when i installed the bassani catted x pipe..

Jim V.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
any pics? Maybe a before and after of the tips? Or the system prior to install? Or during install? I think those are all the questions I can ask.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
.... the directions have a header that states (independant rear suspension) so I'm thinking that this was the new batch fitted for the 03 cobras too.

The 99 & 01 Cobra's have the IRS as well.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Mine arrived this week as well, but I'm waiting for the weekend to install. How did the hangers all fit? Did you have to ajust any? I've heard from others that that was necessary so I'm curious if the "new" batch fits w/o any adjustment. To me, it looks like I'll need to adjust the hangers on the tips to get them centered within the cutouts.

Oh, and did you use the u-bolts that came w/ the kit, or use those band-type clamps that others mentioned.

KingKobra

Established Member
lifter213 - I didn' know that :uh oh:. I thought the 03's were the first IRS. sorry about that... but, I didn't have bend anything around.. it all fit snug. :)

32ValveSymphony - It's OBVIOUSLY louder than stock.... I mean, I used to be able to zip around silently.

Basically, I don't hear the SuperCharger whine anymore, I drove it 1/8 mile in 1st gear 80% throttle up to 6000RPMS, all exhaust and Engine noise, S/C'r drowned by other sounds. If you rev at a stop, it bubbles down, (bubbling noises)

LLCoolStang - I'll post a sound clip. Check back Friday morning! [/B]

03ShadowCobra - I can take pics and post them on Friday... the stock tips compared to the Magnaflows... much bigger diameter and easily adjustable to fit the bumber molding. Plus, the MF's are noticeably more straight-through and less little turns and dips in the piping.

Thanks,

Andy :rolling:

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Borla used to have an explanation of" the smell" in their installation instructions (maybe they still do). They claim that during assembly, oils from the tools and the hands of the fabricators get on, and in, the pipes, and take a while to burn off.

demann

Established Member
Droning?

Hey KingKobra,

What about any droning volume at 60 to 80 MPH cruising (2000 to 2400 RPMs)? I want the exhaust louder, but I will not get an exhaust that is substantially louder during cruising speeds.

So what do you think, is it a lot louder during cruise mode?

How about anyone else that has the Magnaflow catbacks? I'd like your opinion on any increase in droning volume too.

Cobra'03

Established Member
It has a resonance at 2100-2300 rpm. Whether it is too annoying is too subjective to answer. I like to protect my hearing, so on a long drive I always wear shooting type ear inserts.

KingKobra

Established Member
Droning at 2000 RPMS... it's not too bad, considering it's more of a rear sound. If it was catted Xpipes, I think you'd have some serious droning volume... Don't get me wrong.. it drones at 2000 RPMS and at any speed... I will be hitting 60-80 tonight so, I'll get back to you on the higher speed stuff... But, all in all, this car sounds like a mustang now, that's what I wanted. When you're cruising, it's not unbearable. I can record some clips and post them tommorrow... stay tuned. :beer:

Last edited:

demann

Established Member
Hey Cobra'03, now you've got me worried.

On occasion, I have worked in places where I thought I needed or wanted ear protection, and it was VERY annoying. I don't think I'd want to even consider needing ear protection in my car, muscle car or not.

I guess I'll just have to find someone in Detroit Metro area that has the Magnaflow to give me a ride in their Cobra.

Any takers? There are several free beers in it for you!

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, it's hard to really gauge what loud is. :)

This is a fact: It's notably louder than stock. It's mean and deep, and makes bubling noises from small backfires.

Listen to the magnaflow sound clip because I did and think that it's fairly close:

Listen to sound sample #1 (the startup is about how deep it sounds... the rev has the same bubbly sound when you rev from idle. It's very comparable IMHO

Listen to this stock 03 cobra

This may help gauge things.

Unlike my friends Saleen, you can hold a conversation at cruising speed. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread