Magnaflow exhaust too low

03miamisnake

Established Member
I have seen some comparable threads regarding some other exhausts, but I have a Magnaflow offroad x and catback. My vehicle is at stock ride height on AFS 18"s. I am getting ready to put on H&R Race springs, so I was checking clearance underneath and realized how low the exhaust is sitting. Currently it is only 3-4" off of the ground. There is a huge amount of room on top between the pipe and everything else. Any feedback, etc. would be appreciated. The work was done by a very reputable shop. I sent them pictures today to see what they have to say. I have already ordered the springs but clearly can't deal with an additonal 1.5" drop.

Thanks.

ImageShack Album - 3 images

Jefe

Established Member
Get the Cobra in the air and loosen the clamps at the midpipe. Use a rolling jack to lift it up, probably 1-2", whatever you are comfortable doing. While the jack is holding up exhaust where you like it, re-tighten the clamps and then remove the jack. Should get you at least an inch

Also check out your exhaust hangers. The rubber could be worn out and might need replacing but you might be able to heat up the hangers with a torch and bend them so it holds the rear piping up higher.

The bend on the left is absolutely unnecessary

exhaust3p.jpg

moonltgold

I have the Mag catted X and H&R springs (rear), coilovers front. I clear 3" on the cats (my lowest point), and since you don't have cats, I would think you can get closer to 3.25" clearance or more. The cats hit once in a while and my muffs (Bassani) rarely ever hit, but they sit higher , maybe 3.5" off ground.

svtaddict

Established Member
Get the Cobra in the air and loosen the clamps at the midpipe. Use a rolling jack to lift it up, probably 1-2", whatever you are comfortable doing. While the jack is holding up exhaust where you like it, re-tighten the clamps and then remove the jack. Should get you at least an inch

Also check out your exhaust hangers. The rubber could be worn out and might need replacing but you might be able to heat up the hangers with a torch and bend them so it holds the rear piping up higher.

The bend on the left is absolutely unnecessary

exhaust3p.jpg
like he said you can loosen the clamps and just rotate that short tube to get the bend to sit level then readjust the rear catback pipes

Anabolic

Banned
they have the pipes facing the wrong way, that downwards bend there should be facing upwards, the way they blted it will probably cause leaks & the mid pipe to hang low too.

keep the flowtubes where they are just rotate them 180 degrees so that downwards angle is upwards. Loosen up midpipe too so you dont put strain on headers/manifolds. then flip around and tighten front to back.
You might want to put a jack under the pipes to hold them up while you tighten. This is an easy fix. To bad these "mechanics" who get paid to work on our pride and joy are stupid
Most shops lie about ASE certifications & hire any idiots who can work a pen.

Last edited:

03miamisnake

Established Member
concerned

they have the pipes facing the wrong way, that downwards bend there should be facing upwards, the way they blted it will probably cause leaks & the mid pipe to hang low too.

keep the flowtubes where they are just rotate them 180 degrees so that downwards angle is upwards. Loosen up midpipe too so you dont put strain on headers/manifolds. then flip around and tighten front to back.
You might want to put a jack under the pipes to hold them up while you tighten. This is an easy fix. To bad these "mechanics" who get paid to work on our pride and joy are stupid
Most shops lie about ASE certifications & hire any idiots who can work a pen.

Yes, this is causing me a great deal of concern as to their ability to work on my car and not mess if up. Like i said, it is a very reputable shop that works on a lot of very highly modified cobras and gt500s. People send their cars from Texas, etc. to have them work on and service their cars. I am not sure how to handle this. Thanks for your insight.

03miamisnake

Established Member
Agreed

take it back, tell them rotate the pipes so they dont hang.

I already spoke to them and expressed my concerns. Once I get up there I intend to watch what their fix is and then determine how I am feeling about doing any future work with them. Thanks again for feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread