main bearing failure!...ENGINE BUILDERS IN HERE!

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
t6ffa9.jpg

:fm::cuss::nonono::??::shrug:
only 1500 miles on the new mill and this is what i got. i pulled it out of the drain plug hole in the pan today when i was doing the oil. good thing for the magnetic plug. i also have a filter mag on there so it did its job and caught all the fine debris.

so what do you guys think? i know i'm gonna have to pull it again but any ideas what caused it? i don't feel a loss in power or driveability and i don't recall any strange noises. once the motor is out does anyone see any problem with just pulling the pan and repairing it from the bottom without totally disassembling the motor.?

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Not sure why the thrust washer would fail like that but I wish you luck in sorting it out. I would try checking it out without pulling the heads but not sure if you'll be able to replace the bearing without at least pulling the timing chains.

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
yeah, the timming chains are the least of my worries at this point. but i figured as much. thanks

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I never saw a thrust bearing just "fall out" like that. My first thought is a main cap came loose, or the thrust bearing was installed in wrong position, or thrust clearances weren't to spec.
Check the crankshaft thrust flange for heavy scoring. The crank may need replacing or re-grinding.
Expect to replace all your bearings too. There's a good chance the shavings from that thrust bearing traveled through all the other bearings and ruined them too.
Your oil cooler is probably full of shavings too so make sure to flush everything out good before you get the motor back running again.

Last edited:

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
yeah i hope i caught it in time and i didn't wreck the crank. i dropped the oil and it was clean, that filter mag must have done a good job. i'm thinking the "bearing in the wrong position" theroy is what happened. i seem to recall that bearing having some sort of special instructions to it. supposed to face a certain way or something. man i gave this thing so much attention in getting it broke in the right way too. 5 oil changes within 1500 miles and taking it easy on the loud pedal and all. maybe i shoulda beat he snot outta it right from the start.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
yeah i hope i caught it in time and i didn't wreck the crank. i dropped the oil and it was clean, that filter mag must have done a good job. i'm thinking the "bearing in the wrong position" theroy is what happened. i seem to recall that bearing having some sort of special instructions to it. supposed to face a certain way or something. man i gave this thing so much attention in getting it broke in the right way too. 5 oil changes within 1500 miles and taking it easy on the loud pedal and all. maybe i shoulda beat he snot outta it right from the start.
The bottom of the oil pan is clean?
You really lucked out then, because those magnetic filters only catch steel debris. Bearing material is mostly non-magnetic.
I would still inspect a few of the other rod and main bearings just to be sure though.
I just read your thread in the other forum and the evidence seems to show that the wrong thrust bearing got installed in your motor.
That really sucks...

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Who did the motor? I wouldnt pull anything if you didnt build it yourself and your builder is local. I would tow the truck to them and walk in with that and simply ask why its in your hand and not in the engine

DolSVT00

Established Member
Who did the motor? I wouldnt pull anything if you didnt build it yourself and your builder is local. I would tow the truck to them and walk in with that and simply ask why its in your hand and not in the engine

I wouldnt be so fast to come to the conclusion that it's the builder's fault unless he was the one that ordered the bearings.

The thrust bearings for our motors have ither a L on one end or a stop just offset of the center.

His Bearing.
t6ffa9.jpg

Normal bearings used in a rebuild
DSC02738-vi.jpg

DSC02740-vi.jpg

DSC02743-vi.jpg

DSC02744-vi.jpg

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
Ouch.

At least it is one piece. I would not even turn that engine.

I would assume that engine would have to be taken out to figure out what the heck happened.

I have never seen an intact bearing come off like that.

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
well after looking through my reciepts i can't find where i ordered the main bearings. so i'm thinking the machinist may have ordered them. he was the one doing the shortblock. but like some of yas were saying. i wont really know what happened till i get it out and open it up. i really hope i caught it in time. as for the pan being clean THAT i can't say. i can say the oil was clean when it came out though. regardless i will be planning on replacing all the mains and the rods too (bearings). that is unless i find something i really don't wanna find. then there are gonna be problems.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I really don't see how the proper thrust bearing.. that's been properly installed could fall out *in one piece*?

I suspect it's the wrong part or was not installed properly and fell out quite some time ago.

There are three thrust bearings. I'm guessing the other two are still keeping the crank in position.

Rich

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
I really don't see how the proper thrust bearing.. that's been properly installed could fall out *in one piece*?

I suspect it's the wrong part or was not installed properly and fell out quite some time ago.

There are three thrust bearings. I'm guessing the other two are still keeping the crank in position.

Rich

i sure as hell hope the other bearings are keeping the crank in place. the last thing i wanna deal with is buying a new crank. this is bad enough as it is let alone having to get a new crank, rebalancing, and all the other happy horseshit that goes along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread