major?

GABULLITT3170

Established Member
I am currently a sophomore in college and I have no idea what I want to do once I graduate. Everyone throw some ideas out there for me and tell me what you do for a living.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I'm going for a degree in business management. I don't know exactly what I want to do yet, but I know I want to run my own business.

S197man

Established Member
talk to a career advisor....duh

They usually can tell you what they think you'd be good at, but only the OP can know what he wants in his life

I am a freshman in college, in the same spot. I have determined that as long as I have full benefits (insurance, 401k, no weekeneds, etc, etc,) I will be happy in a job, whatever it may be

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Are you at Kennesaw State? I started out doing Engineering/Physics but over the course of 4 years it has morphed into Economics. I like mathematics so I tried to find classes that I enjoyed taking and eventually I realized that Economics was the most interesting to me. What classes that you've taken have you really enjoyed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I'm at the same crossroad. I can either do something practical that I am not necessarily interested in, or something that I am interested but won't necessarily get me a good or steady job.

Best thing to do is to find something that you are interested in and try to get an internship or volunteer over the summer. Working for little dough will really let you know if you want to do it.

txyaloo

Established Member
The old fall back is a generalized business degree. Should serve you well with whatever you decide to do. I'd advise against getting most liberal arts degrees.

txyaloo

Established Member
Why are you spending money at college if you dont know what you want to do?

That's why a lot of people go to college. It's the whole point of a college education. :shrug:

You don't go to college to learn how to do a specific job. You go to college to become exposed to the world, different ideas, and different subjects. Most people don't go into college knowing what they want to do in their life.

That's why states make you take classes like philosophy, psychology, government, history, basket weaving, etc in college.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
They usually can tell you what they think you'd be good at, but only the OP can know what he wants in his life

I am a freshman in college, in the same spot. I have determined that as long as I have full benefits (insurance, 401k, no weekeneds, etc, etc,) I will be happy in a job, whatever it may be

If he didn't want advise he wouldn't have posted here. Everyone is gonna say what they think is best.

I'm a biology major and would love to work with a conservation group, or maybe for DNR. My dream job would be to work at one of the big aquariums.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I am an Electrical engineering student graduating in may 2010 and have found out if i am willing to move i can get a job pretty easily even in this crap economy its tough work but well worth it in the end..

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
go with graphics and web design. you can get plenty of jobs utilizing those skills

Newspaper Publishing
Magazine Cover Design
NFL Gameday Magazines and Team Yearbook Design

design the cover of books, and you can use your web design skills as well.

lots of possibilities.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
The old fall back is a generalized business degree. Should serve you well with whatever you decide to do. I'd advise against getting most liberal arts degrees.

Damn I go to a liberal arts college:(

I'm hoping to get into marketing or maybe HR departments with my comm. major and business minor.

BlckBullitt01

Established Member
IMO, if you've made it through two full years, and still aren't sure what you want to do, you should consider taking a break from school.

Nothing wrong with taking your time to figure out what you want to do, but the last thing you want is (assuming you stay in scool w/ no general plan) is to have nearly 3 years of BS classes that count nothing towards a degree, then having to start all over once you decide on a degree.

Again, just my advice, but I've seen way to many friends have to start over towards a degree from scratch after already having been in college for several years. And yes, the majority get a year or 2 in THAT degree then burn-out/tire of college for good.

BlckBullitt01

Established Member
Oh, and +1 on getting a co-op/intern to help give you a good idea.

Only problem is, for the majority of co-ops/interns now they require you to already be working towards a degree in that field...

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
IMO, if you've made it through two full years, and still aren't sure what you want to do, you should consider taking a break from school.

Nothing wrong with taking your time to figure out what you want to do, but the last thing you want is (assuming you stay in scool w/ no general plan) is to have nearly 3 years of BS classes that count nothing towards a degree, then having to start all over once you decide on a degree.

Again, just my advice, but I've seen way to many friends have to start over towards a degree from scratch after already having been in college for several years. And yes, the majority get a year or 2 in THAT degree then burn-out/tire of college for good.

"Alot of people go to school for 12 years. Yes, they're called doctors" :lol1::lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread