Making a lightning handle for autocross.

wearymicrobe

Established Member
I am in the process of buying a 2001 lightning ~40K miles. I tend to have stupid ideas and one of them lately is to build a smaller truck for autocross. Class is not important I have a SS unlimited car right now and I have a car that I will be running this year at UTCC just want to have fun not set the world on fire.

So suspension on the 2001 I am buying has the JMP drop kit in the rear, set at 4 inches, it has the ford racing springs in the front and Lakewood traction bars. So conventional wisdom is to just call Hotchkins and buy the kit I get that. But I am tossing a bit of the setup that is on the truck.

So am I better spending the difference on sway bars and end-links with Bilstein 4600 or maybe some used Penskie 8100's. Or do the Hotchkins rear leafs make that muck of a difference. Basically is there a go to setup that people are running.

Also are there any oiling issues with people tracking their lightnings?

Truck will have a appropriate stall converter installed, the upgraded valve body and the boost T valve. Looking at having Kodiak make me a set of wheels as well. Truck already has a exhaust/intake/headers a the usual stuff. Will port the supercharger first thing and then think of doing a cam as well depending on how far I have to get into the motor to pull the supercharger. This is going to be a fun toy that I can also use as a shop truck and daily when the weather is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread