Manifold to h-pipe studs.

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
So I took my h-pipe off today to try to fix the leak up at the drivers side manifold. Most people said they either ground off the shoulders or replaced the studs themselves. Well for the life of me I couldn't get mine out and it was getting late. So I tried something different. I pushed the h-pipe flange down until it hit the little spot welds then I took my welder and put a few spot welds a little above the flange. So now the flange won't go all the way to the end of the pipe.

I bolted it back up and cranked on it like hell with my ratchet and a 2ft pipe for leverage. Once it was as tight as I could get it I felt up on the otherside and there is maybe 1/4 inch of stud left that could be tightened if possible.

Just another way of doing it and it was simple.

Last edited:

Wicked

Established Member
I too thought about doing this. You gotta make sure you line the flange on the h pipe up right before welding so that the flange meets correctly with the manifold.

Did you have any issues with this?

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
To tell you the truth I just eyeballed it. Mine had I'd say maybe 1/2 an inch of free play from the tacks on the bottom until it was seated at the h-pipe flange. I just moved it up to where I thought it should be right and put a few tacks on it.

I did have to convince the drivers side (closest to the outside of the car) on though just a bit. I think that however was due to the fact that I had also put a bead of muffler mender on the ball to help seal it and I think it had dried a bit by the time I got it on there.

Users who are viewing this thread