Manufacture date of Bilstein 5100?

_Snake_

Established Member
Is it possible to determine the manufacture date of a Bilstein B8 5100 shock? I can read the numbers stamped on the shock body but haven't been able to find an answer online.

Bilstein B8 5100 (Bilstein part # 24-191203)

Numbers stamped on the body are 112051 6641.

If it matters, they're on a 2003 Ram 2500 I bought in November 2020.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would just call them. That's what I did with my trutrac and I learned a ton just talking to the tech over the phone.

_Snake_

Established Member
I would just call them. That's what I did with my trutrac and I learned a ton just talking to the tech over the phone.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I did today and I'm planning on buying another set because of the service I received.

Here's what I learned: there isn't a standardized method Bilstein uses for the manufacture date. Which blows my mind.
Regardless, the first set of numbers on my shocks are the ones he ended up needing and they break down like this

Month = November

Day of month = 20

Year = 2005

Shift
= first

Pretty sure this explains why my truck squats more with our boat than my wife's 1/2 ton. lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
The springs hold the weight. Not the shocks. If it's squatting the springs might be wore out. Or it's just set up to be soft. My 250 squats a little when I load the car trailer. But they did that to help with the unloaded ride. So air bags are in the future.

_Snake_

Established Member
The springs hold the weight. Not the shocks. If it's squatting the springs might be wore out. Or it's just set up to be soft. My 250 squats a little when I load the car trailer. But they did that to help with the unloaded ride. So air bags are in the future.

Completely agree and these trucks are known for having soft springs from the factory. Now they’re 20 years old. The shocks should have been replaced 10 years ago and I’ll replace the front coils and rear leafs if needed OR if it’s worth the investment.

It’s actually been kind of fun watching this truck come around because each new part makes a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread