March Madness

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
I don't know...KU played with heart. If they bring that effort on Monday (especially their 2nd half effort) they can hang.

Very true. Just this Kentucky got talent all across the board, plus they are not playing selfish. Robinson is a beast though. I hope it's a good game.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I expected OSU to lose...Matta just doesn't coach for the long haul. He relies on 6 players and if someone gets into foul trouble or gets injured, their whole season can come crashing down. He can recruit...so play those guys you've brought in. No one is too young to contribute! Damn!

I don't follow college basketball the way I do football, but I do know this: My alma mater for undergrad (Ohio University) took out the Wolverweenies in the first round. Suck it. :banana:

Ohio was damn good. Made it to the Sweet 16 where they lost to UNC in OT. Didn't their coach already take a job elsewhere?

I'm just glad UM is on the upswing. Burke is a helluva player and this year's incoming class should be huge.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
So long OSU! ****!

:lol:

I'm not really a Buckeye fan but I wanted to see them win. Craft is a good kid. I'm not a Sullinger fan though, he can go.

the rest of the team with the exception of Buford is young. Will like to see how they respond next year.

Planter

Banned
I don't know...KU played with heart. If they bring that effort on Monday (especially their 2nd half effort) they can hang.

won't be a repeat of the game in November at MSG, when UK beat KU pretty good.

this should be a tight contest! KU was the underdog against Memphis 4 years ago too.

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
won't be a repeat of the game in November at MSG, when UK beat KU pretty good.

this should be a tight contest! KU was the underdog against Memphis 4 years ago too.

But that KU team that beat Memphis had a really good team. I don't see Kansas matching up all that well with Kentucky.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Ohio was damn good. Made it to the Sweet 16 where they lost to UNC in OT. Didn't their coach already take a job elsewhere?

I'm just glad UM is on the upswing. Burke is a helluva player and this year's incoming class should be huge.

Yeah, groce took the Illinois job. Michigan b ball is on the upswing just like their football team. I'm just glad we (Ohio university) has everyone back next yr. I hope we get a new coach.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Planter, you do make some good points. The '08 Memphis team was plagued with free throw shooting issues, which essentially cost them that game. In the three years Calipari has been in Lexington, his teams haven't been extraordinary free throw shooting teams. Before last night's game UK was shooting 68% from the line as a team, not sure where it is now. However, as charge happy as the refs were last night, I guess it wasn't as big of an issue seeing how they didn't shoot as many free throws as they are accustomed to.

One way or another, tomorrow's game will be a damn good one. I'll be back in Lexington again, where it was absolutely wild last night.

Also, I wish our boy boostaholick would show his face again. For weeks I gave him facts about why UofL was inferior and wouldn't advance past UK . He wouldn't have it, and has been MIA for a nearly a week now.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I think we might have a good game brewing. The college basketball simulation engine that has been saying that Kentucky was going to go all the way and win the national title since the beginning of the tournament is now giving Kansas the edge in a head to head matchup 54% of the time.
Kentucky Kansas 2012 National Championship Prediction From WhatIfSports.com

The college basketball simulation engine must not work on Sundays because it waited a day to bust out a great April Fools' joke.

If only I were kidding. John Calipari may not find the punch line all that funny.

After sticking with and projecting the Kentucky Wildcats to cut down the nets round after round, the sim-engine flipped statistical allegiances in a Kansas versus Kentucky National Championship game. We ran 2,001 simulations of the initial bracket of 64, Sweet 16 and Final Four – in each case the Cats reigned supreme.

Keeping with tradition, we re-simulated the title game 2,001 times. To our surprise, the Jayhawks won the first batch of games over 54 percent of the time. Due to the close margin of victory and simulation trend favoring Kentucky each round prior, we elected to run the title game 2,001 more times. This was not to give an edge to the Wildcats, but to verify that the sim-engine did, indeed, favor Kansas in a head-to-head matchup.

It did.

2012 National Championship Prediction

Matchup

Win%

Avg Score

Kansas Jayhawks

Sample Boxscore

vs Kentucky Wildcats

Simulate Title Game

The second batch of 2,001 simulations generated the same result. Kansas, which has had to play from behind a number of times this tournament, is favored to win in over 54 percent of the simulations by an average score of 72-70.

WhatIfSports.com's college basketball simulation engine predicts the Kansas Jayhawks to beat the Kentucky Wildcats tonight in New Orleans.

It would be Kansas head coach Bill Self's second National Championship with the Jayhawks (2008).

If both teams "show up" it is likely going to be a close game. :beer:

But I got to say...
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK :rockon:

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Kentucky is gonna need to play a hellova a lot better than they did against Louisville the other night! If they can keep the game pace up like they did against Indiana and quit trying to slow down they'll dominate as long as they're shots are falling!

Planter

Banned
good start to the game but ku getting a little sloppy. they need to settle down a bit.

interesting note, KU is 27-1 when holding opponents under 70 pts. if they can do that, they have a damn good chance.

Planter

Banned
good game after KU closed to within 7 with about 4 minutes to play, but aside from that it was all domination by UK.

congrats to the cats on their title. :beer:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
WOOOO!!! What a game!

I chose to stay in tonight just in-case it was close at the end. I have a tendency to scream at the tv in frustrating situations. Last night was no different. Thought we were successfully going to blow an 18 pt lead. Couldn't for the life me understand why Calpari kept wanting to slow it down. It's like he wanted a close game! He even noted at the end of the game that his guys were getting mad at him for making them slow the game down!

Anyways Glad we prevailed! BIG BLUE NATION HAS #8!!!!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Not the outcome I was hoping for, but Kentucky was the better team last night and deserves the title.
Kansas played their hearts out (especially in the 2nd half) but even when your defence is holding the other team's shooting to less than 30%, you have to put points on the board. KU's offence this year has been nonexistent, so it's amazing we made it as far as we did this year.
So my congrats to Kentucky for winning a hard, heartfelt game. And to my Jayhawks for making it all the way to the championship seemingly on defence alone. :beer:

I just hope Kentucky can keep most of their roster from this year from going pro so we can have a remach next season. :rockon:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I just hope Kentucky can keep most of their roster from this year from going pro so we can have a remach next season. :rockon:

Wouldn't count too much on that. Davis, Jones, and Teauge have probably all purchased there plane tickets already! But UK is supposed to have another great recruiting class coming in! So Hope they can maintain. I look for Wiltjer to step it up big time too next year!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't count too much on that. Davis, Jones, and Teauge have probably all purchased there plane tickets already! But UK is supposed to have another great recruiting class coming in! So Hope they can maintain. I look for Wiltjer to step it up big time too next year!

Just like what happened when we won in '08, your entire starting lineup ends up shipping off to the pros. I can understand why they do leave with the amount of money they get offered, but the college basketball experience is just special. When you watch an NBA game you typically see a ton of empty seats, whereas most college games are packed.

After posting I remembered that most of KU's starters are seniors and juniors so many of them won't be around next year, and some of our coaches like Danny Manning are leaving for head coaching jobs at other schools. So a rematch would really be between two different teams next year, but I'm still for it (so long as Bill can find some kids who can shoot the ball :p ).

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
A good game on Monday night. Was a little more sloppy for both teams than I hoped to see, but I guess that is the result of two quality defensive teams playing one another. Davis had such an odd stat line, but he has gotten the majority of his points this season from garbage buckets and lobs. I'm not surprised Doron Lamb played as well as he did, he is/was this team's best scorer far and away.

I haven't seen any dates as far as when players will announce whether they will stay or go, but I suspect the top 6 will be gone. 5 to the draft + 1 graduation/draft. However, national signing day is next week and all eyes will be on Shabazz Muhammed, Nerlens Noel, and Anthony Bennett. If those all three pick UK, watch out again next season, as Calipari said the other night he wants an undefeated season!

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I missed this entire thread but what a blast March Madness was. I went to Atlanta for the sweet 16 and the elite 8, then to New Orleans for the Final Four. What great trips! Bourbon street killed us.

Users who are viewing this thread