Marines- Has anyone gone back in after they got out?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I appreciate your info/experience. I will lose my time in grade. Then again I don't want a 10 year TIG either.

If you keep your TIG you would have grounds for a remedial promotion.... That definitely wouldn't suck.

Either way I hope it works out. I was told I couldn't latmove from my original MOS coming back in. Even though I picked up 2 additional MOS's and picked up one as my primary while in the IMA. It was either take back the original or not come back at all..... I'd rather be a Marine with a crappy MOS than not a Marine at all.

I'll also say this- since you're coming back in as a SNCO put in a WO package immediately. There is a 40-45% selection rate right now. It's less than that in the majority of MOS's right now for moving up as a SNCO to the next higher.

GL:beer:

blackfang

Established Member
Update- My OMPF still has not been received by my PSR. My FitRep has hit and in my MBS. Going to scan all of my Army documents that are needed and send to the recruiter. I just want all of this paperwork done because i know it will be 3 months or more for my approval due to my waivers.

PT wise- I have not ran 3 miles since 2003. So I have not trained my body for that. I started running the 2nd week of December 2010 after not PTing at all for 2010. Big mistake! My first 3 mile run was around 36:30. I ran my 6th 3 mile run and now down to 30:57. So if I keep up two 3-3.5 mile runs and 1 interval running per week I should be good to go in 2 months. Plus the cardio and crossfit is working.

If you keep your TIG you would have grounds for a remedial promotion.... That definitely wouldn't suck.

Either way I hope it works out. I was told I couldn't latmove from my original MOS coming back in. Even though I picked up 2 additional MOS's and picked up one as my primary while in the IMA. It was either take back the original or not come back at all..... I'd rather be a Marine with a crappy MOS than not a Marine at all.

I'll also say this- since you're coming back in as a SNCO put in a WO package immediately. There is a 40-45% selection rate right now. It's less than that in the majority of MOS's right now for moving up as a SNCO to the next higher.

GL:beer:
I was not aware of that part(in bold).

I can't latmove as a SNCO plus i already have latmoved before. That is why IMA is my only option. The part that sucks is there are no 5831's in the reserves. However, as an IMA I can backfill a spot at a Brig. Also I was an MP in the Army reserves so that can also carry over and help me find an MP slot or an MP Co that may need a body.

I figure about 3-4 months after I get back in, I will try and put a packet in to augment back to Active Duty and back to my PMOS. I have also though about the Warrant option as well.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Actually a latmove is not out of the question. There are a handful of MOS's that might take you as a " fresh" SSgt. 0211,0231.... You might also be able to try for Sigint, CID, or EOD. Those MOS's are ALWAYS looking for talent and since you already have a clearance you have a leg up. If it were me I'd at least give it a shot. What have you got to lose? You will fail 100% of the time you don't try.

blackfang

Established Member
Actually a latmove is not out of the question. There are a handful of MOS's that might take you as a " fresh" SSgt. 0211,0231.... You might also be able to try for Sigint, CID, or EOD. Those MOS's are ALWAYS looking for talent and since you already have a clearance you have a leg up. If it were me I'd at least give it a shot. What have you got to lose? You will fail 100% of the time you don't try.

Good to know.

blackfang

Established Member
I found out through another non biased source, that the only way I could lat move is if the gaining reserve unit would want me bad enough and be willing to fund my school and that is likely to be a no. Still continuing as planned as I like my current field anyways.

runsonboost

Established Member
are you wanting to come back in as a 5831? if so im sure you know about the cross country chaser duty, they are hurting for Marines right now. MSG is also actively recuiting also if you want to go back to that. CID is another MOS that you could probably easily get into, i was offered this option before i EAS'ed, one of the few MOS's that were still offering a large bonus (30k) for reenlistment. Brig work has changed alot in the past 5 yrs alone, they are trying to scale down the MOS. boat spaces go quickly only 13 spaces for 2010. the Pendleton facility is down to 100 bed detention only, all sentences over 30 days go to Miramar. if you go back as a 5831 the potential to do other things is defenetly there as there isnt as much need for you to be working in a brig. Good luck with everything, if you have any questions about the MOS send me a PM ill give you any info i can.

blackfang

Established Member
I appreciate it. I still have a few SNCO buddies working at Yuma, Oki and Lejune and they are filling me in. I found out LeJeune and Pendleton are level 1 facilities just like Quantico is until that closes(which won't be for a few years now). Yeah I am familiar with chaser duty. I am coming back in as a reservist first and then going to try and augment back on to active duty in either the 5831 field or hopefully they can take me as a 5811 being I was an MP for the Army Reserves. I wouldn't mind being a Det Commander, but the wife and kid are out of the question and that is a deal breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread