Mary Barra of GM: worst CEO in modern history?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I found this a very interesting read. Barra was an HR hack that somehow levered this into the CEO seat. The value destruction at her hands since could not have been more effectively implemented by McKinsey.

Cruise:

That was then:
1702833409647.png

This is now:
1702833477134.png

Nikola:

That was then
1702833561088.png

This is now:
1702833662174.png

That was then:
1702833812558.png

This is now
1702833729081.png

That was then:
1702833874554.png

This is now:
1702833932319.png

and on and on and on

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
They know they got that bailout money if all their EV shit tanks them.

As for her, and most CEOs of auto manufacturers I think they just don't understand their consumers enough and just thought if they build it their customers would follow.
Hell, Ford cut back 50% on the Lightning(barf). They've released sound bites of wanting to do more hybrids than pure EV.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
As bad as Barra is, Jim Hackett was way worse. How you go from selling office cabinets to being the ceo of ford i dont know. *smh* Jim Farley isnt much better. I'm of the opinion if you didnt start your career in engineering you have no business in leadership of a manufacturing company. These empty suit MBAs arent worth a fraction of what they are paid.

OX1

Established Member
As bad as Barra is, Jim Hackett was way worse. How you go from selling office cabinets to being the ceo of ford i dont know. *smh* Jim Farley isnt much better. I'm of the opinion if you didnt start your career in engineering you have no business in leadership of a manufacturing company. These empty suit MBAs arent worth a fraction of what they are paid.

Even beyond engineering. We have mech engineers at work that don't know where the gas tank is in their car/SUV and/or cannot even change brake pads.

robvas

Established Member
Even beyond engineering. We have mech engineers at work that don't know where the gas tank is in their car/SUV and/or cannot even change brake pads.

Used to work across the street from the Nexteer HQ

Car after car of fresh off the boat Indian engineers, packed 5-6 deep in a Nissan Sentra would drive into town (****ers can't drive for shit) for lunch. Was funny watching them almost get hit.

Cheated their way through college, memorized some crap, couldn't even tell you how a tire size works and they are designing steering systems for GM.

Here we go.

Heck one of the guys we hired was one of those, he'd come into the office with some random part that "fell off his car" (it was a year old he just ran over so much shit) and ask what it was and how to put it back on. I get it that you're not a mechanic because you have an engineering degree...but come on

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

And quality engineers that don't know what a Pareto chart is. I am serious.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
[ ] shocked
[x] not shocked
Yup. Call me a sexist asshole if you want but I don't think there is a woman on the planet with the knowledge and background to be the CEO of a major, multi-national auto company.

Pretty blatantly clear she was a woke/diversity hire.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
About 2017 company I worked for hired and made this snot nosed Notre Dame grad a program manager in their fast track management program.

He cried victim as he told me about how several of the young engineers were making fun of him. He said, "I know it's because I graduated from Notre Dame."

Everyone knew he graduated from ND because he told them in the first 5 seconds of talking to them. LOL

Then he proceeded to go behind my back and shovel non-compliant prototype/LRIP parts out the door to the Customer. IIRC the part was a gasket for ADAS. He left within a year after that.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup. Call me a sexist asshole if you want but I don't think there is a woman on the planet with the knowledge and background to be the CEO of a major, multi-national auto company.

Now, I get CEO's make important decisions, obviously, but I have to wonder how much freedom some get for their decisions when it comes to these huge companies.
They have to answer to the board/keep others happy as well.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

Let me get this straight... A woman CEO is a diversity hire but a furniture salesman that becomes CEO of ford was a good choice for the company.

Im totally against diversity hires that are unqualified but at the same time there are a **** ton of old white males running companies into the ground and get off with a $20M golden parachute when they get fired.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

IDK. I worked with a female program director, Lynne, who was absolutely awesome and very sharp. She was by far THE best manager/director I've ever worked for. Lynne didn't have any practical knowledge about the products, but asked such pertinent questions, and provided excellent work direction.
Lynne let us do our job, and kept everyone focused. That includes the customer. She was very well respected by everyone.

I'd take her in a heartbeat over anyone else I've ever worked for to lead a project or a company.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Cheated their way through college, memorized some crap, couldn't even tell you how a tire size works and they are designing steering systems for GM.

I've noticed this about our Indian Robots.

They are great at memorizing and reciting stuff but can't problem solve jack shit.

They rely on the fact you can barely understand them and their credentials to talk in circles so as to convince you they know what they are talking about.

Anything more than a basic system upload and an European, Asian or American counterpart is going to get it resolved significantly faster and more accurately.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

They are great at memorizing and reciting stuff but can't problem solve jack shit.

They rely on the fact you can barely understand them and their credentials to talk in circles so as to convince you they know what they are talking about.

Anything more than a basic system upload and an European, Asian or American counterpart is going to get it resolved significantly faster and more accurately.

^this!

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Let me get this straight... A woman CEO is a diversity hire but a furniture salesman that becomes CEO of ford was a good choice for the company.

Im totally against diversity hires that are unqualified but at the same time there are a **** ton of old white males running companies into the ground and get off with a $20M golden parachute when they get fired.
Never said he was but the subject of this thread is about Mary Barra.

Jim strikes me as more of a "car guy" than Mary Barra and he is cousins with Chris Farley so he's gotta at least be funny right?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
About 2017 company I worked for hired and made this snot nosed Notre Dame grad a program manager in their fast track management program.

He cried victim as he told me about how several of the young engineers were making fun of him. He said, "I know it's because I graduated from Notre Dame."

Everyone knew he graduated from ND because he told them in the first 5 seconds of talking to them. LOL

Then he proceeded to go behind my back and shovel non-compliant prototype/LRIP parts out the door to the Customer. IIRC the part was a gasket for ADAS. He left within a year after that.
Biggest Dbag engineer I ever worked with was from ND. Of course everyone else around here are all Purdue people so maybe there is some inferiority stuff going on.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Never said he was but the subject of this thread is about Mary Barra.

Jim strikes me as more of a "car guy" than Mary Barra and he is cousins with Chris Farley so he's gotta at least be funny right?

Not that Jim, the other one, Jim Hackett. The genius that decided that ford isnt gonna build sedans anymore. Brilliant!

robvas

Established Member

Try to get one to admit they are wrong or don't know something!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Unfortunately, politics has taken control of large swaths of corporate America. It's a catch 22 for a lot of them. Can't imagine how challenging it is to try and run a company of this size when you have this whole other entity that does nothing but cause you problems, and forces you to go against your better business judgement most of the time.

Now, I don't feel the least bit bad for these folks, as they are extremely well compensated for their troubles, but it doesn't make their jobs any easier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread