Master cylinder replacement necessary w/ clutch?

Despair

Established Member
I've been shopping around for labor costs to have the clutch replaced in my 12' Coyote. One of the shops I just spoke to said that it was imperative that I have them replace the "slave and master cylinders as well to avoid them ruining the new clutch." The slave cylinder and throwout bearing are the same thing to my knowledge and the master cylinder albeit a relatively cheap part ($70) is going to cost me $300-$400 more in labor to replace according to his estimate. Is this really necessary? I have the Exedy Mach 500 complete kit as well as matching flywheel and McLeod braided line. Car has almost 84k miles on it.

JTS_7

Established Member
Swap the throw out since it would be a pain to remove the tranny for just that, plus he will already have access to it with the tranny being off so I can't imagine he would charge you an arm and a leg for it. It's literally two small bolts.

I'd leave the master unless it's leaking. If you need to change it out down the road it's very easy to get to and swap out by yourself.

JDos1

Established Member
^+1. Have them replace the slave cylinder and pilot bearing while he's got the trans out. Keep your current master cylinder. He's trying to take you for a loop.

Despair

Established Member
Thanks guys!!! I just got off the phone with another guy at a transmission shop who very politely told me I was a dumbass for not having them change the master out.

centerforce

Established Member
If the master is performing normally and not visibly leaking, you should be fine without replacing it. Changing the slave and other related bearings would be strongly recommended during a clutch install.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread