material between chrome tips and exhaust pipe

tnadoman

Established Member
I was poking around the back of the Cobra and saw a material that was stuffed between the exhaust pipe and the chrome extensions, about 3-5 inches back. Is that the material to give the car the quieter sound? Has anyone pulled it out?

Poison_S

Established Member
Material in Exhaust Tips

If what you are describing looks like glass fiberous, fraying string then, yes I think it is for sound detoning.

I saw the same thing hanging out of the tip baffles of the Bassani cat back system.

It is some glass-based fiber that can withstand the heat while quieting the exhaust sound.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I tried removing mine along time ago but it just wouldnt come out! I think someone here took theirs out and it did make it somewhat louder.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I replaced my cat-back with the Post-Fix 99 Cobra catback and the only obvious difference is that the insulation you're talking about isn't on the 99 and I think it sounds much better. Someone else here did the same but with an 01 Catback and they liked it as well.

MineralG03

Established Member
Exhaust Tips

I had the stock tips cut off and had Magnaflow 3" tips welded up. With stock mufflers and pipes ther is a definate improvement in sound and no drone with the new tips minus the stock setup.

MineralG03

Dale

Established Member
I installed my Bassani baffles into my Magnaflow catback today. The sound deadening material (wide weave fiberglass??) is held together with masking tape. If you take the tape off it's a pain to install without the material coming unwrapped. Any comments?

Bosko

Established Member
Same thing happened to my bassani Cat back when I put it on and drove it for the first few days. Its Hi Temp Fiberglass. I called Bassani and said WTF is this? And they said just pull out whatever is hanging out of the pipe. It will stop doing that soon. They said if its still a problem theyll send new fiberglass OR new baffles. The person I talked to at Bassani was Sheldon. He said the same thing happend to him...

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by tnadoman
I was poking around the back of the Cobra and saw a material that was stuffed between the exhaust pipe and the chrome extensions, about 3-5 inches back. Is that the material to give the car the quieter sound? Has anyone pulled it out?

Actually it's not there for sound at all, it's for heat. The material is in there to keep your exhaust tips from melting/ discoloring your rear bumper insert.

Users who are viewing this thread