Max boost for 03/04 cobra in so-cal with 91 octane?

HighPSI

Established Member
Well I'll throw this out. IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE!!!!! It's great that people want to blame thier motor blowing on 91 octane. Fact is there are quite a few people running 18lbs on 91 with no problems. I even know a guy out here that runs 21lbs on straight 91 octane. I believe his SN is NITROSCOBRA. Talk to him, I personally wouldn't run more than 18 but he has a ton of miles on his setup running 21lbs on 91 octane with a 3.4 whipple. There's no doubt that the motor is on the edge now, but he runs 91 just fine right now.

Just my .02

I would imagine he's pulling a crap load of timing though? I would be curious to know his numbers and would bet he'd make more power and the car would run better on lower boost.

OP, it's generally 16-17.5psi max that I would run on 91. My tune is to 16.5psi on 91.

Impact 5.0

Established Member
Talk to a reputable tuner and go with their recommendation. I've read lots of posts of people running tons of boost on low octane fuel, but I wouldn't do it! My shop (AED in Sacramento) installed a 3.5" upper (stock lower) on my Whipple for 91... I don't remember exactly, but I think it is somewhere around 13 or 14 pounds. Hopefully my engine will last a while and I don't have to worry about getting a bad tank of gas.

I use a 2.75" upper for 104 octane, which I believe is around 18 pounds. I also would not recommend using 100 octane from a pump- it sits down there a long time so there's a high risk of it going bad.

3.5 is 15 PSI until the blower breaks in, then your going to see 13-14.. I just found that out the other day. :fm:

Shaun AED said he doesnt like to tune over 15psi on 91, some guys want 16.. when he says 15 I take his word for it.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Just had my car retuned 12 - 13 lbs for the street.. BTW That's at 15 degrees of timing.
Very happy with that.

I know how much motors cost:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread