Max Coolant Temp?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
What's the highest temp you'd feel safe running?

The car doesn't take much to get to 210 and I'm doing everything I can to keep it on the road this time. So just want to be cautious

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I just swapped my 50/50 mix for straight water and purple ice. That should help. I think I still have some air in the system even though I used a vacuum.

The intercooler blocking the radiator isn't helping I'm sure. I have a 165* thermostat as well.

If 210 is ok then I should be ok. Just stuck in rush hour traffic with 95+ days doesn't bode well.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I agree, my intercooler affected my cooling also. It usually runs in the 180-190 range on a 100* degree but climbs steep at idle when the a/c is on. I got a larger SVE radiator to go in when I get a chance. Hopefully that will help.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Every car since fuel injection was made standard in 1986 is designed to run between 200 and 220° for complete fuel burn.
Until recently most were closer to the 220 mark.

I personally like ~190°

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Every car since fuel injection was made standard in 1986 is designed to run between 200 and 220° for complete fuel burn.
Until recently most were closer to the 220 mark.

I personally like ~190°
Good to know! I'm used to dummy gauges outside my 65 which never hit 200 so I'm a bit weary. Is 230 out of the question for these motors? Would it help any that I have head studs?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I can remember back in the day seeing some Buick and Chevy 3800 V6s running steady 226
Personally I think that is pushing it. Especially aluminum heads on iron blocks.
That isn't our problem thankfully.
I would not want to see 230.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Maybe revise the fan settings with your handheld if you can.
Had the tuner do that, I'll check again when I take it back Saturday. I noticed this weekend the fan didn't cut in till 180*.

The car has always wanted to run hot. Just in the last almost ten years it's only had about 3k miles put on it. So it hasn't been a major concern.

nomoretickets

Established Member
I can remember back in the day seeing some Buick and Chevy 3800 V6s running steady 226
Personally I think that is pushing it. Especially aluminum heads on iron blocks.
That isn't our problem thankfully.
I would not want to see 230.

230 on our motors is sketchy because the coolant circulation towards the back of the heads isnt all that great. Overall the motor might to be so bad, but the head by the firewall can be much hotter. Hense the headcooling mod's.

Users who are viewing this thread