Max power with stage 3 heads, stage 1 cams?

sb306

Established Member
Well I decided to go built. Getting rods, pistons, walbros, 60 lb. injectors, head studs. Im going with stage 1 cams(for smog, slightly bigger than just stage 1) and stage 3 heads. My question is what kind of max power(with a safe tune) am I looking at with this? Im running a ported eaton, how much extra boost could I run above just the 4lb that I was running prior? Will the cams keep a whipple or a kenne bell from breathing the way it should? thanks in advance.

denali_on_26's

I have a traction problem
Established Member
not 100% on the power with that setup but i made 721rwhp with stg.3 heads/cams whipple and nitrous

also i have some ARP headstuds i will let go

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Curious, who's stage 3 heads are you going with (any flow numbers?) and which stage 1 cam are you gonna use? Do you have the numbers on the cam profile?

Stewart

sb306

Established Member
Curious, who's stage 3 heads are you going with (any flow numbers?) and which stage 1 cam are you gonna use? Do you have the numbers on the cam profile?

Stewart
The heads are a patriot casting from dmp with dmp hardware. Not sure on the cam though. My builder said it will be the biggest cam that we can use with the combination and still be smoggable. He said its a little "bigger" than just a stage 1. Im not use to all this "stage" stuff.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
this is a good question, When I have my motor built; I would like to do something with not much of a lope at all to pass our yearly emmissions out here in Dubai. There is no way you could be camming and pass..

203Cree

Established Member
Well, the heads are going to flow good, but I don't know if that's really a good thing with the small cam and Eaton on there. I'd imagin you'd at least make the power you're making now, maybe a bit more. :shrug:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
What Rob said makes sense. Engine performance is more about the perfect combination of parts, not going big only where affordable (whether dollar wise or smog wise). I laugh at the SBC guys that take a fairly stock motor and throw a huge carburetor or a big single plane manifold on it then wonder why it doesn't run right.

sb306

Established Member
I know if it was NA the stage 3 heads would kill my power unless I was spinning to 8000rpm. But, with supercharger it can only help to take some load off of the SC. Its only making power under boost, so the intake is under pressure instead of trying to spin the engine fast enough to get enough velocity for torque, hp etc. Im not excpecting huge gains with the heads, MAYBE 20 or 25 at the wheels. partly due to the bigger valves that will also help with flow. But combined with bigger cams I would expect a decent gain. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread