Maximum Motorsports or Steeda for suspension upgrades?

Which brand for suspension?

• Maximum Motorsports

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • Steeda

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

audioqueso

Established Member
I am a newbie to open track, but I need/want to replace my swaybars for my 97 Cobra, so I need to throw some money anyways. The only suspension upgrades I have are Eibach springs and cc plates. Since I am looking to going the open track route in regards to upgrades, I would like to know what's a better company to go with, MM or Steeda? This way, I can at least start off in the right track and order my front and rear sway bars from them.

What about a company like Brook's Performance? http://www.brooksperformance.com/ Would this be a better route? I thought about them, but I live down in Florida, so it's a long way to take the car and leave it there to have them upgrade my suspension.

MC1457

Established Member
audioqueso,

Call John Brooks and talk to him (number's on the web site). He doesn't pressure you into buying anything and can talk intelligently about the various systems out there in relation to what you want from the car.

I have a BROOKS S/C Stage III on my 96 Mystic and love it. You may also want to talk to other BROOKS customers...John can provide references.

Side note: I put a T-56 in last year. Great upgrade if your T-45 is beat.

Good luck!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Leave your swaybars alone. As you upgrade your suspension, the swaybars needed, will change.

Call a reputable company (I prefer MM) and tell them your plans with the car and tracking. They will help you come up with a overall gameplan that gives the most bang for the buck and minimizes having to go back and change things that have already been upgraded.

Brian

audioqueso

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Leave your swaybars alone. As you upgrade your suspension, the swaybars needed, will change.

Call a reputable company (I prefer MM) and tell them your plans with the car and tracking. They will help you come up with a overall gameplan that gives the most bang for the buck and minimizes having to go back and change things that have already been upgraded.

Brian

Thanks for the tip, but I HAVE to at least get a rear swaybar. I haven't had one for about two months. :D Might as well do both the front and rear while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
audioqueso said:
Thanks for the tip, but I HAVE to at least get a rear swaybar. I haven't had one for about two months. :D Might as well do both the front and rear while I'm at it.

Then get the MM adjustable swaybar. It gives you the most options as you modify in the future.

Good luck. :banana:

Brian

sonic cobra

Established Member
I found it difficult to find someone knowledgable and experienced in suspension mods. Most perf shops only want to give you 700 hp and a drag kit. Talk to John Brooks. He will be happy do talk about your suspension at length.You will most likely conclude, as I did, that he knows his way UNDER a mustang!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
a vote for the home team here. the success of this car with steeda q specs under it against vipers, vettes and ferraris in the hands of a capable driver says a lot about the improvements at the time. these mods are old now, but from driving the car myself I can only say that it handles like the Honda S2000 that I used to own. Only with torque.

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
I have mostly Steeda parts on my car. I have had no problems with any of the parts that I have used from Steeda.

I have to admit that I"m leaning toward MM parts in the future.

Both offer quality parts, and both are race proven.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I have a tri-ax on my cars, and a Steeda clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster on my '99. No problems at all but I do go to MM for suspension parts mainly because they beleive in the IRS and they also have a good selection of parts available for it.

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
I have a tri-ax on my cars, and a Steeda clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster on my '99. No problems at all but I do go to MM for suspension parts mainly because they beleive in the IRS and they also have a good selection of parts available for it.

Good point! This is why I'm leaning toward MM! Steeda doesn't believe in the IRS. I would like to prove them wrong.

After many years of track events I have reached the limits of the Steeda sport springs. Steeda recommends putting a solid rear in the car. I have too much $ invested in the IRS to start over. MM coilovers are in my future.

Like I said before Steeda makes quality parts, but for an IRS track car MM is going to be seeing my credit card.

1993R

Established Member
I'm Running the following Steeda stuff and have no problems:
C/C Plates
Offset A arm Bushings
Rear Lower Control Arms
Clutch Quardrant
Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

frank the tank

Skull-Keg Racing!
Established Member
I have built my coupe around the steeda suspension philosophy:

c/c plates
5link2
bump steer
x2
lca's
subframes
springs

nothing but great parts, bottom line. the lap times prove it!

I will put my 5linked suspension setup up against any torque arm any day of the week!

Last edited:

sleepless

Established Member
I'm all Steeda as well.

CC plates, springs, subframe connectors, bump steer, IRS bushings, CA bushings, diff bushings.

Good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread