Maximum motorsports upper rear coil over mounts

Saleen498

Established Member
Does anyone here have experience with the solid upper rear coil over mounts from MM? Specifically in a convertible? I know MM does not recommend them for a Street driven car however the car is a convertible that has never had nor will ever have the top up. In a coupe I understand how the noise could echo inside the cabin. In a vert is it extremely noticeable? The car is being built for show mostly but I do plan to take it to a few road courses for fun a couple times a year. Thanks for any advice as to weather or not I should install them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd imagine for a couple trips a year you won't really need them. I don't have personal experience with them, but I've had the coilovers for a few years without the mounts and haven't had any problems yet. And I'm not exactly easy on my car.

DCguy

Established Member
I have not had a chance to drive with them yet but I did install them. I have spherical eyelets on the lower shock mounts as well so i imagine it will be some increased NVH. I don't really care though as the car is stripped out, solid motor mounts, etc.....weekend warrior and occasional HPDE build similar to you. I've fully insulated the interior from firewall to tailights with sound deadner material so I hope that will help cull some of that interior rattle can noise.

The upper mounts were also a bit of a bitch to install. You have to drill the pilot holes from inside the trunk and I had to go buy a small ratchet style drill because my 18v would not fit facing down like that.....best i could get is like a 30 degree angle.

Then once you have the pilot holes you have to drill out the shock towers from the bottom (4 holes on each side).....that metal is like 1/2in thick steel so it was a decent amount of laying under the car and pushing. You also need a reamer to ream out the factory shock tower opening to 1inch in diameter.

I had my rear axle out at the time as well so I had plenty of room to work down there. If your rear axle is still in, at minimum you'll need to take your brake rotors/calipers off in order to get a drill in there squarely with some muscle behind it.

Bear in mind you'll also need the corresponding "Competition" rear coilover kit that fits your chosen shock. The competition upper shock mounts won't work with the non-competition kits so you'll need to swap those out as needed.

Saleen498

Established Member
Thank you for the insight. Could you let me know how you like it once you get it on the road? Lucky being a vert I can fit a dewalt drill at 90 degrees inside the trunk. I am also covering the entire interior with second skin in hopes to cut down on the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread