May be relocating to Va.

ff500

Established Member
Where would be the best places to research moving to. Would be commuting to these towns.

Springfield, Va
Glen Allen, Va
Midothian , Va
Frederickdburg, Va
Gainesville, Va
Fairvax, Va
Waldorf, MD

We would be looking for good schools ( 7 year old in 2nd grade ), hoping to find something somewhat in the middle of these areas. My wifes parents live in Ashburn and her sisters live in Centreville, her sister mentioned Gainesville.

Thanks for any helpful info.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
There are alot of places in the Nova area to choose from. What type of enviroment are you looking for? What kind of price ranges? My personal experience living here my entire life (28 years) ive become really fond of the Haymarket/Gainesville area. You can get to most of those places in about the same amount of time. Right now its still relatively cheap compared to farther east like Fairfax. In a few more years its going to be just like Fairfax.

WildFifty

Established Member
My opinion: you want to find the closets place to your work that you can afford.

Commute and traffic times in Northern Virginia are no joke.

For example, if you are planning on living in Gainesville and work anywhere within the beltway, expect over and hour commute both ways. Two hours if you are trying to get into DC.

My view is that places like 20SVT03 mentioned are great and are still relatively cheap. But you will spend a ton of time in your car fighting traffic every morning.

ff500

Established Member
This would be for my wife, she's the one who would be doing most of the commuting. She drives for hours now visiting her stores, one of them is a 3 hour commute. Her office would be in Springfield but she would be visiting all those other locations 2 to 3 times a month.

We are laid back people, would like just a nice community with some restaurants and shopping nearby, activities for kids, decent schools. We do like the outdoors as well.

I think we'd be looking in the 300 to 400k range for a home. We may fly or drive down to check out some areas in the next few weeks.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'd suggest Stafford County or something further up that way in VA. It's quite a bit pricier the further north you go. Commuting anywhere north of Fredericksburg is going to really suck bad. I live in the Richmond area and getting around down here is like a walk in the park compared to NOVA.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
If you need to travel to Springfield and Glenn Allen then you need to look in to Stafford county area because it will be right in between the two! Very populated area with very good schools. A lot of places to pick if you need to buy a house. You will have Fredericksburg real close and that has a lot of activities. Only problem is that if you need to go everyday up north to Springfield then you will sit in a lot of traffic. But if you step up north the living costs are a lot higher than here in Stafford.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
as long as she is not trying to commute during rush hour any of those places would be reasonable. Fairfax co. has the best schools (or did) but it is extremely expensive. My daughter lives in Gainsville in a 4 br 2 story house that is around 400k. it's a pretty reasonable price wise and commute wise if she can avoid rush hour travel LOL. Waldorf is going to be a hike no matter where you live and a pain in the ass no matter what time of day you go.

This would be for my wife, she's the one who would be doing most of the commuting. She drives for hours now visiting her stores, one of them is a 3 hour commute. Her office would be in Springfield but she would be visiting all those other locations 2 to 3 times a month.

We are laid back people, would like just a nice community with some restaurants and shopping nearby, activities for kids, decent schools. We do like the outdoors as well.

I think we'd be looking in the 300 to 400k range for a home. We may fly or drive down to check out some areas in the next few weeks.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
The closer you get to dc more of a headache you will get. I live in woodbridge so Im just about In the middle of everything. I lived and still of a house n fauquier co. It a nice small ag. Co. A lot of ppl live there and commute to dc and surrounding co. Good luck man

Users who are viewing this thread