Mcleaod RXT on 2008 GT500 question/opinion wanted

b00stin

Established Member
Mcleod RXT on 2008 GT500 question/opinion wanted

Over the weekend I installed the Mcleod RXT clutch, New OEM slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and a Mcleod stainless clutch line. After installation car drove fine on the way home. The next day in the afternoon I went to back out of my drive way and reverse was not easy to go into (Grind). If I shift into 3rd let clutch out a bit and then shift into reverse quickly there is no grind. When installing the RXT I made sure the first disc spun freely and it wasn't binding in any way like Mcleod recommends. Could there still be air that needs to be bled in the clutch system causing this? We did do the vacuum bleed procedure and the pedal feels fine from what I can tell.

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
Mine was the same way. The more you pumped/used the clutch the better it got. It will eventually bleed and work like it should. With no reverse sincro these do have a tendency to want to grind in reverse but putting it into a forward gear and coming to a complete stop is the best for not getting grind.

b00stin

Established Member
thanks for the response. the car drives excellent except for the reverse issue. I'm hoping it's just air in the line, after work I am going to try and bleed it some more.

mavisky

Established Member
My advise is to bleed the clutch. When I first brought mine home two months ago with the new clutch it was engaging straight off of the floor. Some time with a hand vacuum pump and it all was right again. Drives like stock now.

I attached the actual clutch bleeding directions from Ford. I bought a small #11 stopper (I believe, could be #12) from a local beer brewing place to use in the reservoir opening.

View attachment 308-00-1 Clutch_System_Bleeding.pdf

b00stin

Established Member
My advise is to bleed the clutch. When I first brought mine home two months ago with the new clutch it was engaging straight off of the floor. Some time with a hand vacuum pump and it all was right again. Drives like stock now.

I attached the actual clutch bleeding directions from Ford. I bought a small #11 stopper (I believe, could be #12) from a local beer brewing place to use in the reservoir opening.

View attachment 66458

Thank you I appreciate it.

fullboogie

Established Member
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, go to the nuts/bolts/small parts section with all the little pull out drawers. There should be two or three drawers with lots of rubber stoppers, very small to very large. You should be able to find something that will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread