McLeod clutch install torque specs?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Installing the McLeod RXT and the instructions leave a lot to the imagination.
It just says follow manufacture torque specs.

Well OEM clutch has outer bolts that hold the entire assembly to the flywheel. One time use torque to yield bolts that go to 35 ft/lbs and then 60 degrees.

McLeod has a inner ring first that bolts down with ARP bolts that go to the flywheel and then the pressure plate gets held down with studs and nuts.

What did you guys torque all that down to?

Thanks
Malcolm

bossnova3

Established Member
The inner floater ring torque down to 20 to 24 ft/lbs that's the key with these clutches

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Cool. What about the pressure plate nuts on the studs? BTW did you get those specs from McLeod or how did you get that info?

bossnova3

Established Member
Yes from Mcleod the pressure plate was 30 to 36 ft/lbs but that one I would double check. The main thing as per McLeod was to use the impact gun or air gun at lowest setting until the fingers of the pressure plate stop moving and the crush washer collapse then torque to spec. Hope this helps.

bossnova3

Established Member
Also before going forward verify the air gap between the inner disc with the floater minimum of 20 thousands max of 25 thousands believe me this is the most critical part of the install...

Good luck

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yes from Mcleod the pressure plate was 30 to 36 ft/lbs but that one I would double check. The main thing as per McLeod was to use the impact gun or air gun at lowest setting until the fingers of the pressure plate stop moving and the crush washer collapse then torque to spec. Hope this helps.

Ha? what crush washer? The bolts that hold the inner ring to the flywheel have no washers and the nuts that hold the pressure plate to the inner ring have standard flat washers. I don't see anything that needs to be crushed?
I also looked over the tech section of mcleod's website and found an article showing and RXT install in an 03 cobra which I know is not identical but darn close and no air gun or crush washer to collapse there either.

Also before going forward verify the air gap between the inner disc with the floater minimum of 20 thousands max of 25 thousands believe me this is the most critical part of the install...

Good luck

I saw this on the tech article for the 03 that they showed. If I don't have that kind of clearance how do you fix it? adjust washers between the inner disk and the flywheel? I got the whole setup from them though including the flywheel and it was all assembled so hopefully they pre-checked that clearance and made adjustments before shipping. I'll find out soon enough when I check it here in a few.

Thanks for all the help so far.

bossnova3

Established Member
The crush washers are on the pressure plate that's were you'll see them, not on the floater. If you don't have that clearance then they're to tight check the torque again loosen them up and retorque. I would do like 22ft/lbs with red lock tight. No lock tight on the pressure plate bolts

MalcolmV8

Established Member
22 ft/lbs is what I did. I was finding clearance to be a very tight 20 as in the 0.020 would go in but you had to put a little pressure to get it in and when you pull it out the floater almost seems to spring a touch as though the gauge was pushing it out ever so slightly. To just slide in with no resistance I had to use a 0.016. 17 thousands and up would have increasing amounts of resistance.

EDIT:

What's the side affects of having a little less than 20 thousands or touch more than 25 thousands?

Last edited:

bossnova3

Established Member
Less than 20 it won't let the clutch disengage the trans and more than 25 it'll put pressure on the top discs not letting go into gear.

bossnova3

Established Member
If you had to put pressure for the 20 thou, then believe me re-do it or you'll have an issue trying to shift at high rpm been their done that. Not fun to have to take everything all apart just for that. Again been their done that.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah I've stopped at that point. I'll call McLeod on Monday or Tuesday if they're closed for the holiday and find out what I need to do. I definitely don't want this to have an issue.
Strange the instructions they throw in the box just say bolt up (not even a torque spec supplied) and make sure disk moves freely. That's all it says. You would think if the clearance is that critical there's be more than that included for instructions.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I called McLeod tech support today and they said the 16 thousands is fine. He said the more important check is when the floater is installed over the first disk I need to insert the plastic alignment tool and spin the disk and make sure it spins freely with no catching and if it does I'm good to go. He said the 20 ~ 25 thousands is just a guide line.

mikes03cobra

Established Member
I called McLeod tech support today and they said the 16 thousands is fine. He said the more important check is when the floater is installed over the first disk I need to insert the plastic alignment tool and spin the disk and make sure it spins freely with no catching and if it does I'm good to go. He said the 20 ~ 25 thousands is just a guide line.

Thanks guys , This is helpful Im installing mine next week :beer:

MG0h3

Established Member
Bringing this back up. Seen numbers all over the place. Good to go on the PP spec and sequence.

So 22 on the adapter ring to flywheel? Seems light to me; blue loctite?

LOL that they say "to factory specs" everywhere. Pretty sure my car didn't come from the factory with a twin disc and adapter ring.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Bringing this back up. Seen numbers all over the place. Good to go on the PP spec and sequence.

So 22 on the adapter ring to flywheel? Seems light to me; blue loctite?

LOL that they say "to factory specs" everywhere. Pretty sure my car didn't come from the factory with a twin disc and adapter ring.
McLeod gives you the torque specs for component assembly.

As for the assembly to flywheel, yes, factory spec with Blue Lic-Tite.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
McLeod gives you the torque specs for component assembly.

As for the assembly to flywheel, yes, factory spec with Blue Lic-Tite.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Ya found another thread where someone called McLeod and they said 35-38 with blue. I’m guessing they say factory spec because the adapter ring is essentially the PP being bolted to the flywheel. Be easier if they’d just say that though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
lol. The variance in info on this topic is as ridiculous as Mcleod saying to "bolt the adapter ring to the flywheel using factory specs".

Was looking for any help I could get!

Users who are viewing this thread