McLeod RST Review

Baysixx

Established Member
Last week I got the McLeod RST, lightened steel flywheel, and JHR clutch line installed. I have always been able to bang gears with the MT82 but the problem was consistency. I would occasionally get locked out of 3rd if I was shifting above 7200 RPM and the 1-2 shift would grind every now and then. 5th gear was almost impossible to shift quickly, by the time I would shift into 5th gear at the track, the clutch pedal felt spongey and didn't grab at all. Before the clutch, I tried the barton shifter and 2 post bracket and switching to AMSoil dot4. It helped, but I would still get locked out. I switched back to my stock shifter with the barton 2 post bracket.

After the install I was amazed at how light the clutch pedal is. Its softer than my gfs brand new 5.0. The engagement point is a littler higher up than the stock pedal, but the clutch grabs hard. I noticed the clutch chatter that some people mentioned between 1400-1800 rpm. After 600 miles of heat cycling the clutch, all the chatter is gone. Shifting with the McLeod is like night and day. The shifts are very direct and there is no lock out in any gears, even after a burn out. The pedal never gets spongey and always grabs just as hard as first gear. I feel like the MT82 isn't as bad of a tranny as people make it sound, and its more the stock clutch that ruins the MT82. Before the clutch, powershifting always felt sketchy because I was afraid of getting locked out. Now powershifting is effortless for the 1-2 and 2-3. If I were to do it all over again, my first mods to the car would be a clutch and tires. I recommend getting a clutch for anyone that is having trouble with their MT82 and you will not be disappointed. I'm excited to get to the track next weekend and see what it can do.

draxxus131

Established Member
I'm glad to hear another member on here has fixed their shifting issues with a clutch swap. I hope you really have fun with your twin disc! If you ever feel the need to adjust the throw of the pedal, try investing into a Mcleod TOB adjuster.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I'm glad to hear another member on here has fixed their shifting issues with a clutch swap. I hope you really have fun with your twin disc! If you ever feel the need to adjust the throw of the pedal, try investing into a Mcleod TOB adjuster.
The TOB adjuster is still a work in progress for the mt82. Not sure when its supposed to be released but its not out yet.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Are you positive on that one, I see two vendors selling it already?

Thats what i was told from mcleod a few weeks ago when i called bitching about the high engagement. They said it was in the final stages and a month or two until release. So unless it was released since then :shrug:

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I have about 700 miles on my McLeod RXT. The engagement point changes a lot. Sometimes it's right off the floor, some times it's higher up.

My McLeod RST did the same thing, but probably 500 miles ( it could have been more) it settled to higher up.

I actually like it engaging/disengaging higher up. That way on quick shifts, a lot less likely to move your handed to fast and miss/grind a gear.

I will say, launching with the RXT (I'm sure the RST is the same) on drag radials (slipping the clutch) is VERY hard. The clutch just grabs, it hits a spot and it's engaged right away. Maybe possibly it needs alittle more break in time. But I couldn't 60' better then 2.2 tonight. And I 60' 1.72 on the stock clutch.

The RXT/RST will need a dump on a slick/bias ply. I can't see the RST differing from the RXT much. Only difference is RST organic vs RXT ceramic friction material.

Users who are viewing this thread