Mcleod vs Spec 3+

tennis_pr0

Established Member
So I am torn between the Mcleod RST or RXT and the Spec 3+. This is not the Spec 3 with the puck style clutch disc, it's the spec 3+ which has the same type of clutch the Mcleod does. I am at 620 to the wheel, however I will NEVER be racing the car and will rarely launch the car hard, it's just a daily driver for me. That being said, I don't want a clutch that has that "on and off" feel. I want a clutch that will slip nicely into place and be easy for a daily driver, but obviously something that will be able to hold the power I am putting down. The spec3+ by the looks seems like it would be good for a daily driver, but I don't want to just go by looks, I want some feedback. So does anyone have feedback on the spec3+ clutch? Again, my primary concern is good street manners. I live in Philadelphia and am always in stop and go traffic. A clutch that is very demanding is NOT what I am looking for.

kdaly

Established Member
Dont get the RXT then, its a shit show for slipping the clutch in traffic. No low rpm engagement and tons of chattering.

ryan03svt

Established Member
No experience with the Spec 3+ clutch, but I can tell you that the Mcleod RXT is a real pain in stop and go traffic. If it's primary use is daily driving in the city, I'd stay away form the Mcleod like kdaly said. Tough clutch engagement and the below 1,500 rpm chatter will drive you nuts in traffic. I can say it has a great pedal feel and is a pleasure to drive when not stuck in traffic. Hope this helps

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Thanks guys. So I guess my question now is will the spec 3+ behave any different? If so, then that's the clutch for me. If not, then I'm not sure what to go with. Maybe at my power level having a clutc that's very forgiving for daily stop and go driving is not an option at all...

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The 3+ will also chatter, I have a lot of experience with them in the SN95's. The RST sounds like the clutch you'd be most happy with. My personal experience with the RXT has been very good, I have not experienced a lot of chatter, it is a real grabby clutch but it was very slipable in my experience. The RST should be even smoother than that as it uses organic friction material vs the ceramic-metallic material that the RXT and the 3+ use. Hit us up when you are ready to place an order, we can assist you with McLeod, Spec and several others, but I recommend the McLeod.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
The 3+ will also chatter, I have a lot of experience with them in the SN95's. The RST sounds like the clutch you'd be most happy with. My personal experience with the RXT has been very good, I have not experienced a lot of chatter, it is a real grabby clutch but it was very slipable in my experience. The RST should be even smoother than that as it uses organic friction material vs the ceramic-metallic material that the RXT and the 3+ use. Hit us up when you are ready to place an order, we can assist you with McLeod, Spec and several others, but I recommend the McLeod.

Ok I was kind of leaning towards the rst. I'm gonna give you a call shortly.

evil281

Established Member
Yea I would look more into the rst. I have the rxt and it is a pain in traffic. Not enough for me to really care because I only drive the mustang 2-3 times a week but if I was driving all the time I'd look at something different especially if you are not racing.

kdaly

Established Member
Man, if your not gonna try and eek every bit outta the car weight wise, and not racing it, I think the stock clutch is your best bet. I haven't heard of any grenading in our cars at 600whp, but I may be wrong. If I could do it over again I'd put a new stock one in there.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
the spec 3 is on and off jus like the others. their all heavy deep clutches that suk balls for every day street driving and traffic which is why I will never own a stick car again!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
How much of a pain is the RXT really? This thread is making it sound worse than I have heard before, and I have one in my garage waiting to go in already ><

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Man, if your not gonna try and eek every bit outta the car weight wise, and not racing it, I think the stock clutch is your best bet. I haven't heard of any grenading in our cars at 600whp, but I may be wrong. If I could do it over again I'd put a new stock one in there.

it's funny you say that, because I think I got caught up in the hype of upgrading my clutch, but I honestly can't really tell if mine is slipping or not. I guess if it was I would see obvious RPM surges. Maybe I just stick with the stock clutch and wait until is absolutely needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if clutch slippage could hurt the tranny though, if it is slipping a bit?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
How much of a pain is the RXT really? This thread is making it sound worse than I have heard before, and I have one in my garage waiting to go in already ><

Me to, but when I was researching it I didn't run across this information. Most of the things I saw said it was pretty close to stock feel with low rpm chatter that for some was worse than others. I'm gonna daily my car with it also.

kdaly

Established Member
it's funny you say that, because I think I got caught up in the hype of upgrading my clutch, but I honestly can't really tell if mine is slipping or not. I guess if it was I would see obvious RPM surges. Maybe I just stick with the stock clutch and wait until is absolutely needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if clutch slippage could hurt the tranny though, if it is slipping a bit?

lol i hear ya, the only reason i upgraded is because i was trying to strip the weight outta the car and figured with 60k miles on this one why not. I had the money and pulled the trigger as I also heard it helped with the notchiness in rowing gears. You'll know when its slipping for sure. And no I dont think it hurts anything if you change your clutch soon after this takes place. But put a stock one back in it.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Me to, but when I was researching it I didn't run across this information. Most of the things I saw said it was pretty close to stock feel with low rpm chatter that for some was worse than others. I'm gonna daily my car with it also.

If it were my car and it was making 600+ rwhp, I would run the RXT, I wouldn't consider anything else. That is why we ALWAYS turn to the McLeod RXT for our shop cars, because the pedal effort is ridiculously light, holds 1000 hp and while they are grabby, they can be slipped. Some may experience a light chatter, but in my experience, every aftermarket clutch I have come in contact with has required a change in driving style when leaving from a stop. I've had Centerforce, SPEC and RAM single disc clutches and all have required relearning a little to prevent a lot of chatter. With the McLeods in our shop cars, the learning curve was less. You basically will need to release the clutch at a slightly higher RPM to eliminate the chatter.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
If it were my car and it was making 600+ rwhp, I would run the RXT, I wouldn't consider anything else. That is why we ALWAYS turn to the McLeod RXT for our shop cars, because the pedal effort is ridiculously light, holds 1000 hp and while they are grabby, they can be slipped. Some may experience a light chatter, but in my experience, every aftermarket clutch I have come in contact with has required a change in driving style when leaving from a stop. I've had Centerforce, SPEC and RAM single disc clutches and all have required relearning a little to prevent a lot of chatter. With the McLeods in our shop cars, the learning curve was less. You basically will need to release the clutch at a slightly higher RPM to eliminate the chatter.

Alright cool, not a big deal I feel better now lol.

DCook

Established Member
I just got a 3+ with billet pressure plate and billet flywheel on today. Driven just about 15 miles so far. Noticeable chatter, but it doesn't bother me. I even drove a few miles in the rain with in rolling on ET Street S/S. I love the pedal feel and I think it will work nicely. Granted, I'm probably around only 420 rwhp.

Everyone has a different idea of whats tolerable, but it sounds like you don't want to wring everything you can out of it. From what I've heard the RST and steel flywheel might be the best choice. I went with what I got due to weight.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I just got a 3+ with billet pressure plate and billet flywheel on today. Driven just about 15 miles so far. Noticeable chatter, but it doesn't bother me. I even drove a few miles in the rain with in rolling on ET Street S/S. I love the pedal feel and I think it will work nicely. Granted, I'm probably around only 420 rwhp.

Everyone has a different idea of whats tolerable, but it sounds like you don't want to wring everything you can out of it. From what I've heard the RST and steel flywheel might be the best choice. I went with what I got due to weight.

I'm afraid daily driving a clutch like this will end up hurting the clutch/drivetrain as I need a clutch that i can constantly slip and ride in the traffic that I drive in every day. I honestly thnik sticking with the stocker might be my best bet.

kdaly

Established Member
I'm afraid daily driving a clutch like this will end up hurting the clutch/drivetrain as I need a clutch that i can constantly slip and ride in the traffic that I drive in every day. I honestly thnik sticking with the stocker might be my best bet.

see if you can find someone local that has one if you get the itch. Then you can see if it for you or not. Its not a cheap mod so you dont wanna do it twice

_Snake_

Established Member

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I ran the RXT for a while and got used to it. I didn't realize how much the it affected driveability until I went back to a street disc. It is a big difference and a lot easier on the trans. Less noise, less fuss, less chance of breaking. My trans broke within 2k IIRC after installing the RXT. I am very happy with my Exedy 500 so far have about 1k on it since the RXT. Smooth engagement and is holding just fine around your power level.

Users who are viewing this thread