Mechman or Nations? Which alternators are lasting?

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I've heard and read a few posts about guys running these two alternators. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has ran them for several thousand miles or lots of track passes. The alternator seems to be the biggest pain in the ass/nuisance issue with our cars and I'm tired of replacing mine. These two alternators seem to be the new best options, so I'd like to hear from owners with hopes of narrowing my choice down to one. Thanks!

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Thanks fellas. Cory, I'm just trying to see the success rate of both, so I can choose which one is best based off real life experience. I'm hoping someone has experience with both and get their opinion for an even better comparison.

cobra-k

Established Member
i installed a mechman not long ago, i dont have many miles on the unit yet but shes a strong 14.4 volts all rpms

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
i installed a mechman not long ago, i dont have many miles on the unit yet but shes a strong 14.4 volts all rpms

That's some good voltage! I'm just curious to how they hold up after some miles and time...

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
That's some good voltage! I'm just curious to how they hold up after some miles and time...

I cant help with longevity..... but the mechman I had never went below 14Volts.
A good company that stands behind their product, believe its a 2yr warranty now.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I cant help with longevity..... but the mechman I had never went below 14Volts.
A good company that stands behind their product, believe its a 2yr warranty now.

That's good to know. Seems like Mechman has the strongest backing so far.

03Steve

Established Member
I've had both on my car. No problem with the Mechman, but I like the adjustable external regulator of the Nations. It lets me adjust the output voltage of the unit, and provides a little more headroom for the returnless fuel pumps.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I've had both on my car. No problem with the Mechman, but I like the adjustable external regulator of the Nations. It lets me adjust the output voltage of the unit, and provides a little more headroom for the returnless fuel pumps.

Your Nations alt put out 15.2 volts??? What did your Mechman put out?

MG0h3

Established Member
My car came with a nations and there was no receipt for it so I'm guessing the car got it two owners ago. So it's a minimum of 3 yrs old and 12k miles on it. No issues. I was having dimming headlights in high rpms but a wiring upgrade fixed that.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I noticed the Nations is 200AMP and the Mechman is 170, 240 (I think 240 is the recommended version) and 320AMP. I remember being told a few years back when I first started replacing alts that I didn't need anything above 160AMPs. Has this changed? Is it ok to run a Nation's 200AMP alt or a Mechman 240AMP or did I miss the 130 and 160AMP alts on their sites?

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Im having a small issue with my mechman eating belts lol, another then that its sees above 14 volts at wot which is great

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Im going to look at it in the next few days to see if a pulley or alternator issue, im sure they will fix it no issues if it ends up being that, mechman has good customer service

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have had excellent luck with my Nations alternator and external regulator.
I think it is a very good idea to get the regulator away from the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread