Melted radiator fan and overflow tank ever happen to you?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok so I did a search and didn't find anything. I did see a guy looking for a new fan in the market because he said his melted. Today I fired to car up for the first time in a month. I tried a couple of weeks ago but battery was dead and have been busy since. Charged her up and fired her up let her idle for a while so I could take care of some stuff while the wife sat in the front window and watched it while on the phone. The next thing I know she is screaming your car is on fire. I thought BS at first but then turned around to see clouds of smoke billowing out from under my hood. As I ran outside and turned it off I realized it wasn't so much fire as it was steam and there was coolant runnig all over the driveway. I fired it back up to turn on the A/C so the fan would run while I poured in a half a bottle of coolant only to see it come shooting out from the bottom side of the overflow tank. I turned it back off and let it cool. It never was really all that hot on the temp guage it was mostly steam as it was about 38 degrees outside. I tried to hose it off but the hose was frozen solid with ice lol. I pushed it back inside and washed it off with several showers from the flower watering can lol.
I took it apart only to find a burned hole in the bottom of the tank and that the fan had apparently caught fire and melted the blades to the shroud and burned the hole in the bottom of the tank.
So now I have to replace the tank and the fan. I was wondering if anything like this has happend to anyone else because I don't want it to happen to me again lol. Luckily nothing else was hurt and the fire and melting were contained to the fan the shroud and the tank. I checked the crossover tube and it still has coolant in it so I don't think the block went without. Sorry for the long post really freaked out by this and wanted some imput. Thanks in advance.

Toasty

Established Member
Sounds like you didnt have antifreeze in your cooling system and the coolant in the overflow tank froze and cracked your overflow tank. When your car warmed up, the hot coolant melted the ice and ran out of your overflow tank.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Never had it happen to me.. just know that when you order new parts they have to be 96 spacific... 97 and 98 were different..

here is the fan...
DORMAN Part # 620128

and the overflow... find someone selling a canton or MMR overflow..

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like you didnt have antifreeze in your cooling system and the coolant in the overflow tank froze and cracked your overflow tank. When your car warmed up, the hot coolant melted the ice and ran out of your overflow tank.

There was antifreeze the coolant didn't freeze the fan seized and caught fire and burned a small hole in the bottom of the tank and the coolant then put out the fire on the fan. This is the nearest I can figure. I had the fluids changed before winter and the place I go does the test on the coolant to see if it is good to 0 degrees or not. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I just don't know why the fan would have seized?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread