Met a veteran of 4 wars today.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd just payed for some gas and was walking back to my car when I see a S-10 with the "Veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam" on the tailgate. I make a detour to speak to the man in the truck. I walked up to him and shook his hand and told him how I noticed his stickers and that I just needed to thank him for his service.

He shook my hand and we chatted for a bit. He said not only did he serve in those three, he actually fought in the French/Indochina war as well. He said he was the last living Soldier to fight in all four wars.

Pretty surreal experience for me. Figured I'd share.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
that's pretty badass. French/indochina? was he an advisor before the US entered Vietnam?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
That's cool. I met a Vet this summer that was in WWII when he was 13 years old. Funny old guy, I bought his book. He really liked to get a lot of tail.

perry2k12

Established Member
That is a pretty cool deal. You met a guy who has seen and been through more than any of us will probably ever imagine.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
that's pretty badass. French/indochina? was he an advisor before the US entered Vietnam?

We didn't really talk about it. From my take it sounded like he was boots on the ground, not sure about his role though.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
That's cool. I met a Vet this summer that was in WWII when he was 13 years old. Funny old guy, I bought his book. He really liked to get a lot of tail.

Haha, I hear that it never changes.

That is a pretty cool deal. You met a guy who has seen and been through more than any of us will probably ever imagine.

That's what I told my buddies at the shop. He's been through enough fighting in one war to last a life time.

Thats awesome man, glad you took the extra second to shake his hand. :beer:

Me too, I love getting the chance to say thanks to those who served before.

cloned

Established Member
thats great that you got to meet someone with that long of a record i dont think most americans give the older generation of vets enough thanks

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Wow... didn't even think that was possible. What a badass.
Yeah, I'm sure there was a small age gap that made it possible.

thats great that you got to meet someone with that long of a record i dont think most americans give the older generation of vets enough thanks

It was a honor for sure. And I agree, most people seem to forget the sacrifice past generations dealt with.

Users who are viewing this thread