METALLIC RATTLING coming from clutch area.....PLEASE HELP.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I have a noise that has progressively gotten louder that is coming from my clutch area. It sounds like a metallic rattling, a lot like when a catylitic converter breaks apart inside and rattles. I had the cats removed (high flow Magnaflow) cause I just thought right away that was the problem.....oops...I was wrong. The noise was still there and upon closer inspection, it's coming from my clutch area (and it's f-ing LOUD). I have limited experience with this, so I have no idea what it could be. I've never heard a noise quite like this coming from that area. It's definitely not the engine or inside the trans, it's in the bellhousing area:(. Any help or input would be great. Thanks in advance guys. :-D

PS: I have a Spec stage 3 that was prof. installed approx 1 year ago (5,000 miles).

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just a thought...push the clutch in..does it go away? If so throw out bearing if not then Im not sure-Shane

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Like mystic svt said, it is probably your throw out bearing.
Did you upgrade the TOB sleeve when the new clutch was installed?
The stockers break frequently.
Pull off the inspection cover, have a buddy push the clutch in. You will see the sleeve move if it is broken.
Best of luck!

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I was having the EXACT same noise........I thought maybe a broken baffel in my mufflers since I had no cats(Mac mufflers).............but I suspected it could be something to do with my TOB.........and sure enough my TOB and I think my TOB retainer sleeve went Bye Bye on Tuesday and I havent cracked it open yet!

TRBO VNM

I wouldn't drive it until it is fixed. If it isn't like normal TOB noise where it is just a little squeal and goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, but yet it is a loud screeching noise, your TOB could have basically exploded unless it is just the sleeve.

the reason I say don't drive it is because if it is just the TOB it can cause more damage. I just took a car in with a similar issue and we thought it was just the TOB, which it looked like it through the inspection cover, but when I took it off, bearings fell out and some other round piece of metal not from the TOB. upon further inspection it turned out being part of the pressure plate. so instead of a simple TOB replacement, the guy is stuck replacing the clutch and friction plate on the flywheel.

oh yeah, his retainer sleeve was fine to.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
FWIW, I had a retainer dowel pin looking thingy on my DFX fall off of the pressure plate and it landed in the inspection cover and made all sorts of funky noise. But like others said, check to see if it's the TOB first.

ddl6289

Established Member
It might be the Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve. Put the car up on jack stands. Start up the car. Is the noise coming from the inspection cover? If it is, take off the inspection cover. Is the clutch fork bouncing around? If it is, then the Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve is probably broken.

This happened on my car recently and I just got it fixed.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
When I bought the car brand new, I had the TOB sleeve fixed under a TSB from Ford. Do you think they replaced it with another crappy one? The noise is consistent ALL the time, clutch in or out. It seems to be louder when the engine is under load (driving in gear). I am going to bring the car in as soon as my mechanic can squeeze me in. Thanks for all the input guys, you gave me some good info. I think I might have the 26 spline input shaft installed while everything is apart.:thumbsup:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When I bought the car brand new, I had the TOB sleeve fixed under a TSB from Ford. Do you think they replaced it with another crappy one? The noise is consistent ALL the time, clutch in or out. It seems to be louder when the engine is under load (driving in gear). I am going to bring the car in as soon as my mechanic can squeeze me in. Thanks for all the input guys, you gave me some good info. I think I might have the 26 spline input shaft installed while everything is apart.:thumbsup:

Well if you push the cluth in and it is still there they say its not your TOB. Guess it could be the sleeve. I have no clue in this but just in case...does it sound like this?

th_MVI_1152.gif

Last edited:

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
Well if you push the cluth in and it is still there they say its not your TOB. Guess it could be the sleeve. I have no clue in this but just in case...does it sound like this?

......lol.......thankfully....no, it doesn't sound anything like that. It sounds like a bunch of pennies rattling in a tin can. I know that orange car (I think). Have you had it at Unique Tuning in Bluffton SC. for Mike Mchale to work on, or Tru-Boost Performance in Beaufort (no longer in business)? I think that's the same one I've seen there before.:-D

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
......lol.......thankfully....no, it doesn't sound anything like that. It sounds like a bunch of pennies rattling in a tin can. I know that orange car (I think). Have you had it at Unique Tuning in Bluffton SC. for Mike Mchale to work on, or Tru-Boost Performance in Beaufort (no longer in business)? I think that's the same one I've seen there before.:-D

Yep, same car. You might have seen my SC yellow GT there also. I lost sooooo much money in that place! Randy can ROT IN HELL. Mike isnt a bad guy but also got screwed over by Randy. Use to be stationed in Charleston hence the SMAF avitar. Now in South Shitty Texas-Shane

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
just go ahead and order a mcleod retainer tube from dagostino.. i was replacing my clutch, and to my dismay when i had pulled the tranny out i had cleanly separated my retainer tube, and stripped out the pivot bolt from the front. both are easy fixes, i just had a car on blocks in the garage for an extra week :beer:

ABrown

Established Member
"Pull off the inspection cover, have a buddy push the clutch in. You will see the sleeve move if it is broken.
Best of luck!"

Where is the inspection cover at on the transmission? I need to do this to mine.

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
"Pull off the inspection cover, have a buddy push the clutch in. You will see the sleeve move if it is broken.
Best of luck!"

Where is the inspection cover at on the transmission? I need to do this to mine.

Drivers side, where clutch cable enters tranny.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Could be your shiftfork hitting the inspection cover. Take the cover off and see if its still there. My cover was bent some how and started making noises a while ago. Its real flimsy

silvercoffin

Established Member

I also had a bad rattle that went away once the car heated up and it turmed out to be the little plate that Bassani weld onto the middle of the x pipe. The little welds had broken enough to make it rattle bad until the pipe heated up. I pulled it off and no more rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread