methanol injection

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
brandon smith said:
has anybody tried the kit yet? if so whats the pros & cons?

Yes, I'm running the Snow Stage 2 MAF. I have found no cons to the system. There is a rumor that it erodes the teflon on the Eaton rotors, but I just removed mine after several thousand miles and they are cherry! I'm running ethanol (denatured alky) as opposed to meth (meth is corrosive) and it's easier to tune with. Besides cooling the charge it gives you an octane bump as well. Some of the top Porsche & Audi tuners run race gas maps w/ alky on 93 pump.

Let me know if you need any help.

brandon smith

FTP
Established Member
scv8 thanks for the info! more questions, where did u get it tuned? what were the rwhp & tq gains vs. the cost? i was going to port the blower but if this will do me better for less money im goin to go with the system u have if its safe.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
i got one on my truck and i did notice that the CL elbow was pretty damn cold to the touch after using it, but it made absolutely no difference at the track after doing back to back runs, using it once, and not the other. i was using race alcohol and water, about a 50/50 mix. i never got it tuned with the meth, so i didnt bump up my timing, which might have played a hand in the no gain.

mifordman

Established Member
anyone? just because i have been arguing with this guy about running meth on the street. i have no problem with it, but im not sure if it is legal.

Josh1

Banned
So does it work just like a Nitrous system, you push a button when you want it or is it on all the time? I know its a stupid question, but from reading up on it someone was saying something about they had it on all the time.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Josh1 said:
So does it work just like a Nitrous system, you push a button when you want it or is it on all the time? I know its a stupid question, but from reading up on it someone was saying something about they had it on all the time.

You only have a limited supply (whats in the tank)
Using it all time would be stupid because it wouldnt last 30 min.
I wouldnt run that crap because I think its too risky regarding tuning.
For a small power gain you are taking a big risk. Water injection would be fine because it doesnt affect fuel ratios.

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
I run it.

20HP bump from my 16* street tune to my 20* race tune. Most of the HP gain was probably from the timing - maybe a few extra ponies with the cooling effect.

I'll continue to run it mostly for detonation regression and consistancy. Plus it's "cool" to tell people you're running Methanol :-D

I run 99.8% methanol injection. I put in about 1 tsp/gal of VP Upper Lube which fights corrosion and helps lubricate the pump.

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
brandon smith said:
scv8 thanks for the info! more questions, where did u get it tuned? what were the rwhp & tq gains vs. the cost? i was going to port the blower but if this will do me better for less money im goin to go with the system u have if its safe.

James from RWTD does my tuning. I haven't had it on the dyno yet but I can run his race gas tune with no detonation on 93 octane. The thing to realize is that it doesn't make power on its own, but it delays the onset of detonation allowing you to run more boost and/or timing. So ideally it would be best if you ported your blower and added the system.

"is it leagal to run on the street?"

Yes.

"So does it work just like a Nitrous system, you push a button when you want it or is it on all the time?"

It can be activated by boost pressure or MAF voltage.

"Water injection would be fine because it doesnt affect fuel ratios."

H20 will alter A/F ratios as well, and isn't as effective on our trucks. Also you get no octane boost and some missing under part throttle boost conditions.

"I'll continue to run it mostly for detonation regression and consistancy"

Same here.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
i have the smc alky kit it is ran off of boost pressure and i have it set to spray at 2 psi there is a control in the cab you can set when you want it to spray and how much you want it to spray.I have not tuned it yet and running 16-17 psi and will be running about 18* timming i have added a bunch of mods (see sig.) over the winter and can't wait to get it out of storage and run it at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread