MGW installed

cad25

Established Member
I just got done installing my new MGW shifter and I must say it is like driving a whole new car, what a difference. I would never have guessed it would make driving and feeling in control of the car that much better, but it did. I would recommend it to anyone looking.

cad25

Established Member
It was my first time dealing with the support bar locking pins and one of mine was covering the hole you use to release it, but all in all I would say about 4 hours. I'm sure I could do it in about half that now that I've done one.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I just got done installing my new MGW shifter and I must say it is like driving a whole new car, what a difference. I would never have guessed it would make driving and feeling in control of the car that much better, but it did. I would recommend it to anyone looking.

Good to hear.:beer:

91svtbird

Established Member

Good to hear...did you take any install pics? The MGW is the one I'm planning to go with as well. I've installed both the Steeda and the FRPP shifter's in the past , I'm sure the install isn't much different.

thanks for your little review on the MGW!

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
The hardest part is getting the shift knob off. Console comes out SUPER easy. I literally ripped skin off my middle finger and palm of my hand trying to get the shift knob off. I was already into the installation and didn't have a strap wrench. I Tried to tape the hell out of the knob and use some channel locks........which worked........but destroyed my shift knob. I had to get a new one from tousely.

If you want to see how the install goes....barton has a straight to the chase video on their site. Makes it very easy. FYI...I didn't have to loosen the trans mount or the reverse soloenoid.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Here are the MGW install videos. The interior part will be different for the 2010+ cars, but the mechanics are the same.

[youtube_browser]__Js88Rhqf8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]khDG6iEqK9o[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]MFjGpcmIva4[/youtube_browser]

IA Shelby

Established Member
How much additional noise do you get now with the MGW?

I purchased a $37 dynamat kit from best buy and had my svt tech apply it liberally. What they send for sound dreading material is minimal.

My MGw works like a dream and 0 increase in nvh. Trust me when I say I hear every rattle, squeak and vibration known to man.

Unfortunately I did not have him take pictures of otherwise I would share them.

Zeroescence

Established Member
We sure would like to hear how you are liking the MGW with a few more miles on her. Thanks for any info. What setting did you install it with? Are you thinking of changing it?

Last edited:

PRP

Established Member
The hardest part is getting the shift knob off. Console comes out SUPER easy. I literally ripped skin off my middle finger and palm of my hand trying to get the shift knob off. I was already into the installation and didn't have a strap wrench. I Tried to tape the hell out of the knob and use some channel locks........which worked........but destroyed my shift knob. I had to get a new one from tousely.
mount or the reverse soloenoid.

When I installed mine I found a easy way to get the knob off of the shaft.

Pull the top of your console to reveal the two bolts holding the shift lever onto the shifter (they go from right to left). Lift the console cover, unscrew the two bolts and lift the console AND shift shaft/knob out as one unit. Unsnap the shift lever boot from the console so you have the shift shaft, boot and knob in your hand. Get two pieces of soft wood and put them in a vice to use as jaw protectors. Clamp the shifter knob in the vice and use a large crescent wrench on the flat end of the shift lever to unscrew the shaft from the knob.

Done, and your OE knob isn't damaged in the least.

I was able to reuse my OE knob and didn't need any more lock-tite since the factory was SO DAMN GENEROUS with it in the first place.

HTH,
Phill

Users who are viewing this thread